UKC

Sony RX100

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cuthbert 26 Jun 2013
I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 which I have found to be great and very reliable. However a friend has a Sony Rx100 which can shoot in RAW and the image quality looks great.

I am not into footering around with settings so is it worth buying an RX100?
 Adam Long 27 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Probably not - its an expensive camera and beyond the requirements of most. If you're not into footering there won't be much point shooting in RAW either.
 dale1968 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Adam Long: although I would agree to a point, just to say the HD video is amazing quality and functions like the panoramic shooting are also excellent. You may find yourself playing around with manual settings as it is easy with a helpful guide within the camera.
 ChrisJD 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

If you don't mind a camera that is a bit bigger to get good IQ (at a good price), try 2nd hand something like this:

http://www.harrisoncameras.net/productdetail.kmod?Productid=12169

eBay has plenty as well, but Harrisons are very reputable.
 london_huddy 28 Jun 2013
 ChrisJD 28 Jun 2013
In reply to london_huddy:

Stop posting on here and go buy that Fuji
 london_huddy 28 Jun 2013
In reply to ChrisJD:

Shush man, I'm trying to find dry rock to play on this weekend now that the Lakes are looking a tad clammy...

Sorry for the hijack
 kes1 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

I have an RX100 that was bought to replace a Powershot S95. Image quality etc is great and there is a noticeable difference to the S95 however there's a couple of usability issues that I don't like as much - which may or may not be important to you;

- It has an annoying turn off delay
When you press on off the camera thinks about it for a second or so before retracting the lens. This makes it quite difficult to pull your camera out of a pocket, snap a quick shot and stuff it back in for example.

- There's no focus lock
You can't focus lock without having to press the button half way and recompose. The custom functions don't allow you to set a button as focus-lock (and exposure lock) like on the S95. This can make action shots where you are panning for example more difficult to setup as you have to set the exposure and focus manually to lock it in.

As others have said though if you don't these levels of control over your photos you may be better with something else or another prosumer model like an old Lumix LX3 etc. I can recommend Harrison Cameras for second hand, along with Ffordes up in Scotland, http://www.ffordes.com/product/13041610443781
OP Cuthbert 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Thanks for the information. Re footering, I used to have a Nikon D50 and like playing with the RAW images and I'd like to do that with the Sony to get a nice balance.

I do wonder though if the images I have seen are more a result of being good at photography as opposed to having a good camera.
 ChrisJD 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Saor Alba:

Make your mind up - are you a footerer or not?

Nah, good cameras always take better pictures....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...