UKC

Ticks and Smidge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rich W Parker 28 Jun 2013
One for the Insectiologyists and knowledgeable....
Do you think Smidge is an effective deterrent for ticks? In the past I've used Lifesystems Exped 50 plus which has an insecticide.
Ta.
 Jamie B 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

> Do you think Smidge is an effective deterrent for ticks?

No, you will have to wear a leotard. Enjoy.
OP Rich W Parker 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Jamie B:
Leotard? Isn't that called a Onesie now? I dunno. I have a magnifier/ flashlight app which magnifies and lights up; handy for micro tick removal. I'd rather avoid though.
 CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:
It 'looks' like smidge is effective against ticks.

http://www.bionity.com/en/products/121138/saltidin-r-proven-active-ingredie...
 AlH 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz: http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/images/uploads/general/Smidge_January_2011.p... Scroll down to 'efficacy table' 2-6 hours against ticks.
 CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2013
Smidge is 20% saltdin
OP Rich W Parker 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Sounds reasonably convincing.
 CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:
I reckon if you smeared a bit around your wrists, ankles and neck it would help quite a bit with ticks, I don't get bitten much by ticks though, they don't seem to like me, even on the rare occasions when they do latch on I've never found a 'full' one.
 Geoff F 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz: In my exprience, yes it works. Neither my wife or myself have had any while earing Smidge, but have before we started using it and at times when we've forgotten to put it on.
 d_b 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Murko Fuzz:

In the interests of science (tm) I just ordered myself a bottle of Smidge and a tin of Wilmas Nordic Summer.

Now I don't expect the Wilmas to work on ticks at all, but I reckon it will clear the hills of all those pesky humans!
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:
> (In reply to Murko Fuzz)
>
> In the interests of science (tm) I just ordered myself a bottle of Smidge and a tin of Wilmas Nordic Summer.
>
> Now I don't expect the Wilmas to work on ticks at all, but I reckon it will clear the hills of all those pesky humans!

Now you just need to buy some ticks!
 d_b 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

I will just pop down to goblin combe and collect a bag of them. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
 lazzaw 30 Jun 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: I just spent the afternoon there - I caught 3 running up my legs and one latched on whilst there. Yet to do the full tick check on return. I caught 1 on my daughter's hand whilst there and 4 latched on checking her at home. May invest in something before returning with her next time
OP Rich W Parker 30 Jun 2013
In reply to lazzaw:

I'm going to be much more vigilant from now on. I find the prospect of a barely visible (sometimes), potentially dangerous parasite quite alarming.
 d_b 01 Jul 2013
In reply to lazzaw:

I just don't go there in summer any more. Every time I go I seem to be finding them days later, and nothing itches like a tick bite.

My record was 14 in an afternoon.
 Phil1919 01 Jul 2013
In reply to davidbeynon: Where is Goblin Coombe?
 d_b 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Phil1919:

Limestone crag to the west of Bristol. There is some good climbing, but the ticks and ants are vicious in summer.
OP Rich W Parker 01 Jul 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

Has anyone come across a graphic showing the geographical incidence of Lymes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...