UKC

Dartmoor - are the midgies out yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2013
Can anyone that's been out climbing recently on the various granite dartmoor crags comment on how good/bad it is with regards to midgies at the moment please?

Thanks,
Stevo
 dale1968 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: saw or heard none on Wednesday
 Motown 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Live there and been out at Hound/Hay Tor/Greator Rocks most dry evenings over the last few weeks - not a midge in site. In fact, I have only suffered midges there a couple of times. Firstly, at Luckey Tor, but not until dusk and that wasn't when we were climbing, but setting up camp near the stream there, and secondly at Bench Tor. They were vicious there, but only came after a brief shower. Where were you planning to climb?
OP CurlyStevo 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
Yeah I've not been to dartmoor many times, but I thought it generally isn't as bad as other similarly wet areas further north. Still given the weather over the last 15 months I thought it may be worth checking.

Planning on climbing at Dewerstone
 Iain Peters 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Overcast and damp with little breeze today on N Dartmoor. Midge heaven.
In reply to Iain Peters:
Have you actually seen any this year yet on Dartmoor?
 Mike C 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Near Widecombe last Monday they were putting in an appearance. Too windy on the Moor itself over the weekend though.
 SteveoS 28 Jun 2013
In reply to Will Cat:
>
> Planning on climbing at Dewerstone

Might have a little trouble if it's not breezy as you're near the river.
In reply to SteveoS:
hmm OK the wind is supposed to be up tomorrow but the crag will be fairly sheltered from the direction it's coming from. Sunday is looking like a cross wind which is more likely to be effective.

I think we'll go along to dewerstone in any case and take the repellent and move on if it particularly bad.
 Iain Peters 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

They were out in force at Lustleigh Cleave earlier in the week and in Gidleigh Woods day before yesterday. Despite that both places have some great bouldering that's sadly neglected. Take the DEET and you'll be fine.
In reply to Iain Peters:
were they just a problem towards dusk?
 Iain Peters 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yup.
 jayjackson 28 Jun 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Yep, definitely here.

Was eaten to bits at Dewerstone on 18th June...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...