UKC

Frustrating, but probably good advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I flippantly posted a couple of weeks ago that I had a cold and couldnt run.

This has since developed into a really nasty chest infection and bad sore throat with a dry chesty cough. Not being able to run is driving me nuts but i think i need to heal completely before a go out again. Seems like this is good advice, the comments at the bottom are interesting too.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/should-you-run-when-youre-sick?page=sing...
Moley 29 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:
As I became older and very slowly more sensible I appreciated that running when ill (especially chest/coughs)simply isn't worth it, nearly always makes matters worse as the immune system is made weaker - when you want it functioning 100% to aid recovery.

I think the hardest part is coping mentally with the time off, after a week off we think we have lost all our fitness and will be starting from scratch again. Which of course is rubbish, you soon come back, don't panic and concentrate on getting better rather than losing fitness and frustration.
Chill!
 StefanB 29 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

When I am ill I don't feel like running at all, which is probably the way my body is telling me to recover. It's just a question of listening.
It's much harder to be sensible when recovering from an injury ...
In reply to Moley:
> (In reply to TheDrunkenBakers)

>
> I think the hardest part is coping mentally with the time off, after a week off we think we have lost all our fitness and will be starting from scratch again. Which of course is rubbish, you soon come back, don't panic and concentrate on getting better rather than losing fitness and frustration.

Thats the bit that concerning me. Ive not been ill or injured since i started running seriously about a year ago and its now been two weeks. Im just hoping it wont be a major setback.

BusyLizzie 30 Jun 2013
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers: I had a chest infection a few weeks ago, was poorly for three weeks and needed two courses of antibiotics. Some days I felt better and went for a little run; invariably the next day I felt dreadful. So, sad and frustrating though it is, it is good advice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...