UKC

Walking pole just in case?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 30 Jun 2013
Well yesterday started out ok, most of the ascent done, just passing the top of Hallsfell and looking forward to running off the back of Blencathra and over Mungrisdale Common, when my foot went down the hole.

Cue much yelping, swearing, hopping and a look from the hound that said "If you can't walk you're on your own mate...wonder if there's another runner I can tag along with?". There then followed a slow walk/jog/limp back to the car.

I'm now hobbling round with a swollen bruised foot that I think is just soft tissue damage, but wondering if, in addition to brufen and some out of date co-codamol and naproxen, a walking pole might be a useful extra for times like that. (I am aware looking where I'm going and less brittle ankles might be an even better option).

Anyone else carry one routinely?
 stonemaster 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Ridge: Sorry to hear that. Next time it happens, RICER may help reduce severity of injury and recovery time, (Rest Ice Compression Elevation amd Referral), but you probably know that. A walking pole would appear to satisfy the 'Rest' part of the management. Good luck.
 martinph78 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Ridge: Not for running, but I carry them in the mountains. Great for improvising shelter, river crossings, splints, crutches, etc etc.
 Carolyn 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Ridge:

I agree it might be potentially be useful, but I've never been to inclined to carry one "just in case". Despite having limped out on an ankle with ligament damage and doubtless made it worse not once, but twice.....
 Banned User 77 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Ridge: Use two if anything.. really make a difference.
In reply to Ridge: Oh and I'd never carry anything 'just in case'.. other than a jacket.. and that was OK when I scewered myself on a stick.. it's just a case of manning up and getting out.. I hopped 6km then spent a week in hospital..
altirando 30 Jun 2013
In reply to Ridge: Come along Ridge, just a swollen foot. I remember being struck by lightning at around 3000m once, hurried too much afterwards, and slid into a gully, bending my leg sideways at the knee. Just hopped leaning on my axe rest of the way down. But a pair of poles would have been immensely more useful.
In reply to altirando: Fell Running is all about risk assessment.. avoiding issues.. we just don't carry the gear to sit out situations.. even the great Breezey said today how cold kills more runners than injuries.. and I think people forget that whilst we have light gear.. its shite compared to good gear.. in reality.. so you avoid issues.. carrying more gear to cope negates the point of fell running.. IMO..
ice.solo 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Ridge:

im with iain - carrying just in case, nah. but using 2 to actually cover steep ground with works well.
i run with two a) when its steep, b) when theres bouldery rivers to cross and c) because im a sissy - but a sissy with good knees.

if youre going to start carrying anything, then 1m of wide sports tape to support the ankle, applied as soon as you realize youve done damage, apparently makes a difference. gaffers tape also works, but the roll is larger and the decent stuff costs more than sports tape.

another option is to equip your dog with a little pack, so he can carry them for you. in which case throw in a tarp, thermarest, fire making implements and some stock cubes. if benighted you will be well equipped - with a food source that carries itself.
OP Ridge 01 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:
> (In reply to altirando) Fell Running is all about risk assessment.. avoiding issues.. we just don't carry the gear to sit out situations.. even the great Breezey said today how cold kills more runners than injuries.. and I think people forget that whilst we have light gear.. its shite compared to good gear.. in reality.. so you avoid issues.. carrying more gear to cope negates the point of fell running.. IMO..

Good points, and I was glad of my windproof, but would have been down a lot quicker with a bit of support rather than hopping. I'm certainly not advocating carrying bivvi shelters and stoves.
 mike123 01 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo: nice lateral thinking. but surely if ridge is taking stock cubes hes going to need this:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/go-cook-24cm-stockpot/204-5007.prd?pageLevel=&a...

and one of these :
http://www.ronniesunshines.com/deerhunter-gut-hook-knife.html?gclid=CIyOj6b...

depends on the breed i suppose.
 Banned User 77 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Ridge: I know.. but I just think we can make use with what we have.. and occassionally just get off.. but the big thing is get off.. if in doubt never wait for rescue unless you are sure you have extra insulation or you cannot limp/hobble at all.. like you did here, its slow but at least you are off and safe, then sort out the injury.

even a torn ligament can be OK as long as you just keep going.. the moment you stop everything swells and its game over, same with taking your shoe off.. 'to check'.. just get off then see.

Its different on a hot day but even on a coolish day with rain its the cold that kills not the injury.

I dislike the FRA/fell runners faith in waterproofs.. like its some magical safety blanket, when in reality once immobile it buys minutes, which could be crucial, but without insulation you can't just sit out and wait.
ice.solo 01 Jul 2013
In reply to mike123:

well the ronnie sunshine gut knife is a no brainer, insane to leave home without one (tho a bigger blade with some serrations down the back would be better).

and the pot? at only 2kgs he wont even notice (until the dogs been eaten and someone has to carry it off the hill).

im left thinking, just to be on the safe side, and assuming ridge has the forsight to get a dog big enough to carry all this (which means more eatin so win win), some carrots, shallots and a bottle of red should be included.
and probably a decent cigar (with clippers of course).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...