UKC

This is what using indoor training walls has done to me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Annoying Twit 01 Jul 2013
I do this a couple of times every second work day now.

1. Feel need to relieve myself
2. Walk to toilet to do so
3. Exit toilet, look left and right to make sure nobody is around
4. Jump up and grab onto guard rail of stairs
5. Chin ups!
6. Return to office
 Trangia 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit:
> I do this every second work day now.
>
>

Well it's certainly improved your bladder strength!
Annoying Twit 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Annoying Twit)
> [...]
>
> Well it's certainly improved your bladder strength!

LOL!!!!!
 Muel 01 Jul 2013

I also do this on the big bar that runs across the top of the cubicle door.
Big Z 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: Love it!!
 Jus 01 Jul 2013

I do the same. But don't need the toilet excuse!
 MeMeMe 01 Jul 2013

I remember doing 1 to 5 on the wooden surround to the niche the hand basins were in only to have an extra unexpected step after 5 -

6. Wooden edging come crashing down and I fall down onto toilet floor.

and then

7. Embarrassedly explain to secretary exactly how I managed to break part of the toilets.
 stonemaster 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: So did you relieve yourself?..
 krasavenko 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: I used to take both chin-ups and abs exercise breaks when I was writing my dissertation, i.e living in the library Edinburgh uni has installed some seriously good pull up bars in the main library bathrooms!

You get some really weirded out looks from the "all my clothes is from Topshop and I came to the bathroom to touch up my make-up" girls...
 Kieran_John 01 Jul 2013
In reply to Muel:

I think if I did this on the bar that runs over the cubicle door I'd end up collapsing the whole thing.
 colina 01 Jul 2013

know exactly wot your saying .have also found myself doing a traverse at my workplace recently using radiators, skirting boards,filing cabinets etc.
 Steve nevers 02 Jul 2013
In reply to colina:
>
> know exactly wot your saying .have also found myself doing a traverse at my workplace recently using radiators, skirting boards,filing cabinets etc.

The Pub down the road from me has a traverse challenge in the lock-ins! The crux is bridging from the front door to the bannister then getting into the pool room.

But @OP, I do know what you mean, I've had something similar after developing some projects, verging into obsession! Discovered some nice 'problems' on a museum and a pub, and worked out a tricky traverse along the back of my house. (its a thin, reachy, crimpy line from the barbecue through the backdoor to the recycling.
Even caught myself a few times watching a mate playing computer games and I've been eyeing up lines on the rocks in the game!

bicycle racks seem to be perfect for sets of dips as well.
Annoying Twit 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
> bicycle racks seem to be perfect for sets of dips as well.

Brilliant, I've just done some. However, my strength isn't there yet. (Note that I craftily used the plural for 'chinups' on my first post without actually saying how many I can manage ). The bike racks outside my workplace are a bit far apart for me, though a quick check shows that I can do a tiny bit better on the narrower ones in the bike shed.
ice.solo 03 Jul 2013

I worked at a place where one by one the jams on the doors broke from this.

Soon after 'mountings' in the form of wooden rails appeared all over the place at unusual heights for projectors and screens that never materialized.
Annoying Twit 03 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> I worked at a place where one by one the jams on the doors broke from this.
>
> Soon after 'mountings' in the form of wooden rails appeared all over the place at unusual heights for projectors and screens that never materialized.

I note that you don't make any comments as to who might have been responsible
ice.solo 04 Jul 2013
> (In reply to ice.solo)
> [...]
>
> I note that you don't make any comments as to who might have been responsible

that would partially explain 'worked' being in the past tense
 robthered 04 Jul 2013
Yep, also guilty.

Office door frames are slopers and fancy stonework in corridors = handy finger board.

Tried a spot of 'buildering' too but apparently security aren't too keen on that...
parberoo 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:
Might I Suggest a nice baby gate for dips. I have a completely pointless one on my kitchen doorway that serves no purpose other than me doing dips on it now
Matrix 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: I do some leg stretching every time I go to toilet! @ work.
 owlart 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: Outside my Boss's office door is a ladder going up to the loft space, it's perfect for doing pull-up(s) on, but only when he's not around!
 Jacob Gretton 06 Jul 2013

At college there's a ledge that runs right across "the bridge", generally pretty quiet, so I'll often find myself doing a few sets of repeaters in free periods
Flat4matt 21 Jul 2013

We have a metal frame outside at our work and that gets some regular pull ups and attempted flags done on it when walking past!!!!
andic 21 Jul 2013

Have a crane/winch in the lab next to my office the girder it runs along is perfect for all kinds of open handed pull-ups, pull-ups with arms at diff heights, hangs and calisthenics type stuff.

Thinking about bringing a medicine ball in to use down in the foundry, one of the guys in my office is a bit of a nutter (too) and would probably be up for a bit of lunchtime catch.
 BarrySW19 21 Jul 2013

I sometimes feel like working on my finger strength by strangling the odd co-worker.
 Jmes 22 Jul 2013

We have a fingerboard mounted on the doorway to my boss's office.
 risby 22 Jul 2013
In reply to BarrySW19: Don't pick on him just because he's odd. He's probably a climber too.
 JIMBO 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: I have a one-arm chin bar at the front of my science lab. I do the odd one here or there when the students are doing tests
 MaranaF 26 Jul 2013
I don't go to gyms very often but when I live in an old fortress and I'm always seeing walls and things I can climb, or can't but try to!!

I was walking home the other week when I saw Alex Honnold climbing an archway that leads into my town. I had a look to see how difficult it would be and decided that it was impossible and that Alex is really an alien!

We have the urban climbing championships here soon which are insane.
 danny_whew 26 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: glad to see I'm not alone. We've got some six foot cages that are ideal for chin ups. Whenever I've got a spare 2 minutes I do a few sets and if I set up right I can do a few dips on the line.

I keep trying out a traverse along the outside of the building but the rock is too crumbly.
 Bluebird 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Annoying Twit: fond memories of that classic childhood game - "traverse around the entire lower ground floor of the house, before mum and dad wake up"
My own son thinks I don't know..bless
rufus stone 27 Jul 2013

Just because your at work doesn't mean you shouldn't train.

There is a caged storage area at work that gives lots of options. Plus it's in a cage so feels badass. For a trad climbing feel try some stacked boxes or heavy precarious shelving.

Ceiling pipes are generally not recommended.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...