UKC

Mountain Footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CharlieMack 02 Jul 2013
Looking for advice on some mountain boots/trainers.

I've got some TNF verto s4k B2 boots, which are really comfy for walking/scrambling, but get very toasty in summer. At the other end of the scale, i have some Decathlon trail shoes, which again are really comfy. They have plain mesh uppers, so are not waterproof, but are burly and fine for summer trail walking.
I don't have anything inbetween.

My question is, do i need something to fill the gap? And if so what? I work as an ML so feel as though i should be setting an example with footwear for clients. But if we are doing big mountain days, i'll tend to wear the B2's as we don't tend to be moving that quickly, and equally for DofE groups. But for a summer trail path up something like Snowdon i'd opt for the trainers, as it doesn't matter if i get wet feet, as they are more likely to get sweaty wet in my B2s anyway.

I've looked at things like Salewa, though they don't seem a world a apart from my B2. My other thought is something like some Inov8 boots, which are nice and light and breathable, but have ankle support too.

On a side note, i'm off to the Cuillin ridge in August, so wanting to use new boots there if i get some.
In reply to CharlieMack:

You're an ML leader and you don't have enough experience to know what to wear to go hillwalking?

jcm
OP CharlieMack 02 Jul 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

I feel comfortable using both, but feel as a professional i should make more of an example, and not be wearing 'trainers'. I'm generally after other's opinions as to whether this is me just being over the top?
In reply to CharlieMack:

Also, i'm a self proclaimed gear snob and really don't like traditional leather boots. Don't know why, just don't. Otherwise they'd be bought and the problem would be solved.
 Banned User 77 02 Jul 2013
In reply to CharlieMack: I wear trainers.. even when I was walking with clients.. just explain your choice.. the limitations..

Bimble 02 Jul 2013
In reply to CharlieMack:

My Meindl Softlines are bombproof, have lasted me nearly 3 years now, are light yet stiff, waterproof and your feet don't get sweaty. No complaints at all about them.
In reply to IainRUK:

Think some approach style trainers are the way then, my £30 decathlon ones are not going to last the 'summer' i fear. Perhaps being replaced if they still make the same ones. They are a great bit of kit!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...