UKC

Canon 70D arrives...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

I am just about to buy a 5D but may hold on a few weeks to try this one. Looks pretty good.
 rallymania 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:

i take it the 70d replaces the 60d?

i guess it depends if you want full frame or are happy with an aps-c sensor

estivoautumnal 02 Jul 2013
In reply to rallymania:

I'll wait for the full review.
 rallymania 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:

lol that too!
 Philip 02 Jul 2013
A very minor update. I bought a 60D in December and would do the same now. Photographers gain a relatively useless ISO boost, in-built speedlight transmitter and some gimicks (HDR, multishoot, touchscreen, wifi).

An update to DIGIC 5+ but not dual slot. A modest increase in megapixel. Larger viewfinder.

A big change in sensor design for better filming - but I would worry (a) I'm paying a lot for a feature I don't want and (b) is it more likely to go wrong with twice the complexity.

They must be dropping the 7D, which has had a lot of problems with focussing. I can't see a serious amateur photographer paying £1100 for the 70D when you can get a 6D for £1500. Unless you own a lot of EF-S lenses.
 london_huddy 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip:

Not sure that I agree that the 7D has AF issues- I've found to be a highly reliable body for shooting sports (and the crop sensor gives more reach). I'm looking forward to seeing how canon apply new AF into their mirrorless M range...
In reply to Skyfall:

APS-C Yawn!

kevin stephens 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Skyfall:
I'm intrigued over what folk use for high end cameras for now? How many are using high res images to print at High res (A3+ or A2) compared to reducing image size to match screen pixels and post on the web?

This is a question I ask myself when contemplating upgrading my Pentax K10D to a fancy new K5
 Hannes 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Philip:
> A very minor update. I bought a 60D in December and would do the same now. Photographers gain a relatively useless ISO boost, in-built speedlight transmitter and some gimicks (HDR, multishoot, touchscreen, wifi).
>
> An update to DIGIC 5+ but not dual slot. A modest increase in megapixel. Larger viewfinder.
>
> A big change in sensor design for better filming - but I would worry (a) I'm paying a lot for a feature I don't want and (b) is it more likely to go wrong with twice the complexity.
>
> They must be dropping the 7D, which has had a lot of problems with focussing. I can't see a serious amateur photographer paying £1100 for the 70D when you can get a 6D for £1500. Unless you own a lot of EF-S lenses.

I'm not quite sure I agree with you. If the output from it is cleaner than the now ancient canon 18mpix sensor at higher ISOs it could be a winner and the far better video AF (looks like it at least) could come in very handy for lots of people. It is also unlikely that the 70D will stay very long at £1100, it is always like that where early adopters pay a premium.

I very much doubt they are dropping the 7D given all the rumours of the 7D mkII and the current market for it. And if the 7D has that much focus problems (which are few and far between) the 70D would be in an awkward position given that the AF system in the 70D is very likely the old 7D AF system
In reply to kevin stephens:

Strongly advise you wait for the K5 ii price to drop a bit Kevin. I went from a K20D to a K5 and the K5's autofocus was noticeably worse in low light. There was all manner of moaning about it on the forums.
Asidefrom the AF the K5 was fantastic to shoot with, ergonomically perfect for a medium sized DSLR.

I've since sold up and gone Canon FF, and, yes, I print regularly at A3+.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...