UKC

Jacobs Ladder (Lliwedd): which rope?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 anaesthetic 02 Jul 2013
Like the look of Jacob's Ladder slab nr Lliwedd. I just bought 50m half ropes before I saw it, d'oh. Friend has 60m single - will this do the job (enough length for anchorage at top, little enough zig-zagging for a single)? Or is there somewhere to belay some way up to do it on 50s? I'll be going for the Severe "Jacobs Ladder/Via Media" or VD arete, friend might go for the VS.

Cheers.
 johnnorman 02 Jul 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

From memory, if you climb the central line up the slab on 50m rope, your second has to start climbing before you can set up the belay
 johnnorman 02 Jul 2013
In reply to anaesthetic:

But it was a long time ago so please don`t quote me
 williemiller 02 Jul 2013
In reply to johnnorman:
> (In reply to anaesthetic)
>
> From memory, if you climb the central line up the slab on 50m rope, your second has to start climbing before you can set up the belay

This may or may not be correct I have no idea. I just wanted to quote it.
 David Jones 03 Jul 2013
In reply to anaesthetic: As I recall, even on the routes which have a bit of a dogleg, a 50 will just get you to the top ledge while your partner is stood at the foot of the slab with very little left.It may be prudent to keep back a couple of longish slings for setting up/equalising your anchors etc. On the central line, your partner may need to shuffle up R a bit, to slightly higher ground at the foot of the slab, to give a little extra slack for finishing.
OP anaesthetic 03 Jul 2013
Thanks 4 replies. Sounds like the 60m single might be easier then. Is the middle line fairly straight?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...