UKC

Famous relations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
estivoautumnal 02 Jul 2013
While researching my family tree I have discovered that I am closely related to Mike Tindall, same surname so not a huge leap of imagination.

Anyone here related to anyone famous. No climbers please, that would be too obvious.
 aln 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: William Wallace.
In reply to aln

Really?
Removed User 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal:

Martin Bell.
War correspondent, Tory MP botherer and wearer of white suits
 JSA 02 Jul 2013

Howard Carter.
 aln 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: I'm a Wallace and that side of the family go back a fair bit on the W coast of Central/Lowland Scotland. Has to be some connection somewhere? As far as I know we have no connection with the Gibson side of the family
 aln 02 Jul 2013
In reply to JSA: Ever experienced any lingering effects from the Mummy's curse?
 Mikkel 02 Jul 2013

The Vikings
 earlsdonwhu 02 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Charles Babbage and Lord Roberts of Kandahar.
 Mikkel 02 Jul 2013
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat:

i also forgot Russel Crowe.
 aln 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Mikkel:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
>
> i also forgot Russel Crowe.

And Genghis Khan.
In reply to Mikkel: I am from the NE of England so we probably have some common lineage going back some 1300 years
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

Can we stick to less than 100 times removed relations?
 timjones 02 Jul 2013
> While researching my family tree I have discovered that I am closely related to Mike Tindall, same surname so not a huge leap of imagination.

WTF is Mike Tindall?

I thought the question was about famous relations
I'm Spartacus
 aln 02 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
>
> Can we stick to less than 100 times removed relations?

Oh well that's Lucy ruled out. Warren Beatty might still be in with a shout, having allegedly had sex with 13, 000 women.
adam11 02 Jul 2013
John Clare is a very distant relative of mine
In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat: No, I'm Spartacus (I presume this is what you wanted)
 hokkyokusei 02 Jul 2013

William Wilberforce.
bobby davro 02 Jul 2013

Tommy Robinson, Andrew McMaster, Paul Harris and/or Stephen Yaxley-Lennon

A distant relation (2nd cousin) whom I try constantly to distance even further.
almost sane 02 Jul 2013
I am descended from Adam.

(Pours a cup of tea, sits back, and waits for a tirade)
almost sane 02 Jul 2013
I have been Santa at a toddler club.

Santa is about as famous as it gets. More people have heard of Santa than have heard of that reality tv person from the show where, you know. The person that had plastic surgery.
almost sane 02 Jul 2013

AND
I have a pal who is a member of a royal family in exile. Ok, so the exile has lasted early a century now, but still.
 Toby_W 02 Jul 2013

Harold Bride is my great grandfather. (Surviving radio operator from the Titanic)

Cheers

Toby
Jim C 02 Jul 2013
> While researching my family tree I have discovered that I am closely related to Mike Tindall, same surname so not a huge leap of imagination.
>
> Anyone here related to anyone famous. No climbers please, that would be too obvious.

Not quite famous for anything they have one or achieved, but we do have a victim of Burke &Hare , so famous in the sense that if you read the transcripts of the trial, they are mentioned there, and in the many books on the subject.

mountainmadness 02 Jul 2013

The Secret Footballer
Removed User 02 Jul 2013

Not very famous. But I did trace my family tree back to the 13th century. Apparently, my side of the family are all decendants from a slightly famous Celibate Monk.
Jim C 02 Jul 2013
In reply to JSA:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal)
>
> Howard Carter.

Where did you dig that one up?
Jim C 02 Jul 2013
In reply to almost sane:
>
> AND
> I have a pal who is a member of a royal family in exile. Ok, so the exile has lasted early a century now, but still.

I did wonder what they were all doing stuck in that room all at time.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en&q=ricky+tomlins...
In reply to Mikkel: That article gave me a massive sense of deja vu Or am I just being a big bairn saying that.
 MJ 02 Jul 2013

Lord Lucan
In reply to timjones:
> [...]
>
> WTF is Mike Tindall?
>
Rugby and all that. Yah.
 The New NickB 02 Jul 2013

I am related to the great Don Quarrie by marriage, his nephew is married to my cousin.
Removed User 02 Jul 2013
 Tom Last 02 Jul 2013

My great uncle was called Walt Disney
 aln 02 Jul 2013
In reply to Graeme Alderson:
> (In reply to Mikkel) I just being a big bairn

Are you from Falkirk?

In reply to aln: Nah, Sunderland
Donnie 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: john Logie Baird. Ironically, we never had a telly when I was growing up
ice.solo 03 Jul 2013

on my dads side is britains biggest gambler (adjusted for contemporary values) and ghillie to the maxwell family.
my dad is well known in certain circles, as is his namesake from another branch of the family who is well known in more dubious circles and who has been a source of misplaced problems several times.

plus rob roy, along with half of scotland.
 Alyson 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Michael Faraday.
 Motown 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: My dad's called Christopher Robin.
Rosco P Coltrane 03 Jul 2013

Ming the Merciless
 Yanis Nayu 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: Mick Philpott
 Timmd 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: My childhood neighbours are distantly related to the English royal family.

No famous relative for me though..

the sheep 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> Michael Faraday.

Thats cool

Trangia 03 Jul 2013

Jesus Christ,

what a silly thread!
Clauso 03 Jul 2013

My dad's name is Michael.
 Little Brew 03 Jul 2013

Kevin Bacon - 6 steps and anyone can be related to him!
 Postmanpat 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Timmd:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal) My childhood neighbours are distantly related to the English royal family.
>
And therefore also the Scottish royal family.

> No famous relative for me though..

Aren't most indigenous Brits related related to the royal family.

estivoautumnal 03 Jul 2013
 Timmd 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Postmanpat:
> (In reply to Timmd)
> [...]
> And therefore also the Scottish royal family.
>
> [...]
>
> Aren't most indigenous Brits related related to the royal family.

I think it's a little less distantly than for some, Charles the 1st is in their family tree as a second cousin or something to one of their ancestors.
 Tom Valentine 03 Jul 2013

I am a step-relation of Mick Jagger though I have yet to get a Christmas card from him.
 Toby S 03 Jul 2013

David Livingstone
 Blinder 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Postmanpat: Aren't most indigenous Brits related related to the royal family.' no but probaly most Germans and Greeks are.
 Alyson 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Little Brew:
>
> Kevin Bacon - 6 steps and anyone can be related to him!

I'm 4 degrees of Kevin Bacon but I wouldn't class him as a relative
aultguish 03 Jul 2013
Tyrone Power

Z
 Chris Harris 03 Jul 2013

I have 2 relatives who have been in "Neighbours".

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0842992/

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0455030/

TMM 03 Jul 2013
In reply to JSA:

pharoahnuff
 graeme jackson 03 Jul 2013

very distantly related to lancelot brown. our side of the family stayed in kirkharle quite a bit longer.

also, my brother is peter jackson. but probably not the NZ filmaker
 deepsoup 03 Jul 2013
2 parents
4 grand parents
8 great grand parents
16 great great grand parents
32 great great great grand parents

Exponential innit.
So you have to go back surprisingly few generations before it turns out you're directly descended from everybody who was alive at the time.
 GridNorth 03 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: When I was a child my Grandfather always told me and my brother that our Great, Great, Grandfather was Hans Christian Andersen. I now think that unlikely as our family name was spelt Anderson not Andersen but names do evolve so who knows.
In reply to deepsoup:
> 2 parents
> 4 grand parents
> 8 great grand parents
> 16 great great grand parents
> 32 great great great grand parents
>
> Exponential innit.
> So you have to go back surprisingly few generations before it turns out you're directly descended from everybody who was alive at the time.

But if we keep going backwards, then the number of my antecedents will quickly exceed the number of people alive on the planet at the time.

Either your maths is wrong, we're all inbred, or something weird is going on... :o
 wushu 03 Jul 2013

My Great Great Great Grandfather was the driver of 'Stephenson's rocket'.

Also, I'm one of Florence Nightingales descendants somehow...
 doz generale 03 Jul 2013

this chap is grandfathers cousin. Not sure what that makes him to me?

youtube.com/watch?v=1LeJoaNERa0&

Still on my fathers side this lady is my fathers cousin so my second cousin i think. She's famous in Spain and latin america for being an zarzuela singer

youtube.com/watch?v=VaQZhjQBcMs&

Finaly on my mothers side i'm related to Mary McAleese not sure how distant though? but still a former head of state!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_McAleese

The New NickB 03 Jul 2013
In reply to Blinder:
> (In reply to Postmanpat) Aren't most indigenous Brits related related to the royal family.' no but probaly most Germans and Greeks are.

Phil the Greek may have been born in Greece and a member of the Greek Royal family, but he is more German / Russian / Danish than he is Greek.
 Timmd 03 Jul 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
> [...]
>
> But if we keep going backwards, then the number of my antecedents will quickly exceed the number of people alive on the planet at the time.
>
> Either your maths is wrong, we're all inbred, or something weird is going on... :o

We're all inbred to some degree I think. Apparently a very long time ago, six females in Europe were responsible for most of the current population of Europe, excluding immigrants and people who ancestors arrive from elsewhere on the globe a few generations ago, and things like that.

It's how a brother jokingly explains how nutty humans can be, it's down to us all being inbred. ()
 Timmd 03 Jul 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics: perhaps that should have a winky smiley...

Jock Tamson
 george mc 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Userestivoautumnal)
>
> Not very famous. But I did trace my family tree back to the 13th century. Apparently, my side of the family are all decendants from a slightly famous Celibate Monk.

He can't have that celibate then? Or was he famous as an ex-celibate monk?
Removed User 04 Jul 2013

My Grandad's cousin was John Scott Martin, the first Head Dalek in Dr Who.
Removed User 04 Jul 2013
In reply to george mc:
> (In reply to rocky57)
> [...]
>
> He can't have that celibate then? Or was he famous as an ex-celibate monk?

More Infamous than Famous.
 Mike-W-99 04 Jul 2013
Aberdeen/Notts County/St Mirren fans may remember Ian Scanlon(my 2nd cousin). Famous for scoring Notts Counties fastest ever hat-trick.
 Andy Hardy 04 Jul 2013
In reply to george mc:

Maybe he became celibate later in life, like just after the pope found out!
 paul-1970 04 Jul 2013

> But if we keep going backwards, then the number of my antecedents will quickly exceed the number of people alive on the planet at the time.
>
> Either your maths is wrong, we're all inbred, or something weird is going on... :o

But the number of one's anteceedents only has to be less than the number of people who have ever been alive - not alive on the planet at the time.

Best of luck with trying to work that sum out...
 ripper 04 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: years back I went for a job interview as a reporter on an evening paper, in a town with a football club which was then riding high. I shared a surname, but no other links, with one of the team's better-known players. the very first thing they asked me was 'so, are you related to him then?' their faces when I said no were a picture of crestfallen disappointment, like kids expecting a puppy but unwrapping a manky hand-knitted matching cardy and balaclava set at Christmas. The interview was over quite soon after that.
In reply to paul-1970:
> (In reply to victim of mathematics)
>
> [...]
>
> But the number of one's anteceedents only has to be less than the number of people who have ever been alive - not alive on the planet at the time.
>
> Best of luck with trying to work that sum out...

OK, I wasn't clear enough - the number of your antecedents in any single generation will eventually exceed the number of people alive on the planet at the time in question.

Of course, that assumes that all of humanity can be neatly segmented into independent generations. Which is just one of many reasons why this is clearly a silly argument
PopShot 04 Jul 2013
In reply to estivoautumnal: I would love to say that I'm related to David Cameron or George Osborne but alas sadly I'm not
 deepsoup 04 Jul 2013

A little of each probably.

My point is that if somebody claims to be a direct descendent of a famous historical figure from centuries ago, they may well be correct. But if they think that makes them special in any way they're probably wrong.

If you go back far enough, it seems likely that with relatively minor variations everyone around now is descended from everyone who was around then.
 Yanis Nayu 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to estivoautumnal) I would love to say that I'm related to David Cameron or George Osborne but alas sadly I'm not

You are in levels of "special-ness" )))
richyfenn 04 Jul 2013

It's believed my paternal side descends from one of Oliver Cromwell's sisters'. Also on the paternal line I'm definitely related to George Manville Fenn, the writer.
andymac 04 Jul 2013

Currently reading (again ) books about The Falklands Campaign.

After some Wiki-ing I discovered that Captain David Hart Dyke ,the Commanding Officer on HMS Coventry, which was sunk during the conflict ,has a rather famous daughter.

The comedienne/actress Miranda Hart.

leeoftroy 04 Jul 2013
In reply to colin struthers: I'M Spartacus!
PopShot 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> You are in levels of "special-ness" )))
>

In the special class? Aw thank you!
Jim C 04 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> In the special class? Aw thank you!

Maybe we should hyphenate you.

I think ' Pop-Shot' suits a man of your social standing better than just plain lower class PopShot.

It would also separate you from the chav crowd on here.
(Soon then, know doubt, to be followed by your knighthood, for such exemplary grovelling, and crawling to the Tory government ,that is only seen by those filling the house of lords) Bribes work too.

Lord Pop-Shot, of UKC, has a nice ring to it.
PopShot 04 Jul 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> ....to be followed by your knighthood, for such exemplary grovelling, and crawling to the Tory government ,that is only seen by those filling the house of lords) Bribes work too.
>
> Lord Pop-Shot, of UKC, has a nice ring to it.
>

Hahaha!! A nice bribe to the correct goverment official and I'm sure it would be a "done deal" as George "Dubya" Bush used to say!
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
> It would also separate you from the chav crowd on here.
> (Soon then, know doubt, to be followed by your knighthood, for such exemplary grovelling, and crawling to the Tory government ,that is only seen by those filling the house of lords) Bribes work too.

Buggery at Eton is a sure fire route (if you pardon the pun), Maybe Lord Pop-Shot, Blood-Orange of Starfish (has a sore ring to it) will be able to tell us.

PopShot 04 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Jim C)
> [...]
>
> Buggery at Eton is a sure fire route (if you pardon the pun), Maybe Lord Pop-Shot, Blood-Orange of Starfish (has a sore ring to it) will be able to tell us.
>

Hehe! No my starfish is an exit only, always has been although I have heard all those stories so I know it happens. Just thankfully not to me

In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to grumpybearpantsclimbinggoat)
> [...]
>
> Hehe! No my starfish is an exit only

Aahh, you were a giver rather than an Osbourne - ta for clearing that up

PopShot 05 Jul 2013
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> Aahh, you were a giver rather than an Osbourne - ta for clearing that up
>
>
>

George Osborne got sh**gged at boarding school?
PopShot 05 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot: I don't believe that. I think I've been had
Jim C 05 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to PopShot) I don't believe that. I think I've been had

Well according to the papers , Osborne and Cameron considered a gay marriage together:-

" Mr Osborne had told Mr Tatchell: "David Cameron and I are very happy to consider the case for gay marriage."

Irrefutable evidence
PopShot 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> Well according to the papers , Osborne and Cameron considered a gay marriage together:-
>
> " Mr Osborne had told Mr Tatchell: "David Cameron and I are very happy to consider the case for gay marriage."
>
> Irrefutable evidence
>

Hahaha! They would make a nice couple I think. Who would be the giver and who would be the taker do you think?
 Yanis Nayu 05 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Jim C)
> [...]
>
>
> Hahaha! They would make a nice couple I think. Who would be the giver and who would be the taker do you think?

Boris would be doing both of them of behind the other's back (in more ways than one)
PopShot 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> Boris would be doing both of them of behind the other's back (in more ways than one)
>

Ha! He's quite an oversexed guy, like the Tory Bill Clinton. I wouldn't turn my back on him anyway.

PopShot 05 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot: ...although if I am to stick up for the party I vote for I would say that Ed Milliband would be in on that orgy.
Jim C 05 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to Jim C)
> [...]
>
>
> Hahaha! They would make a nice couple I think. Who would be the giver and who would be the taker do you think?

Tricky question, they areTories, ( and MP's) so both serious takers, as you will appreciate ,and precious little natural affinity for giving
PopShot 05 Jul 2013
In reply to Jim C:
> (In reply to PopShot)
> [...]
>
> Tricky question, they areTories, ( and MP's) so both serious takers, as you will appreciate ,and precious little natural affinity for giving
>

Hmmm well I'm saying nothing! I've got a bit tired of being called a flamer by people so have turned things down several notches
 aln 06 Jul 2013
In reply to PopShot:
> (In reply to PopShot) I think I've been had

A lot of the chap's have been saying that about you after rugger practice.
ice.solo 06 Jul 2013

My dad was almost famous after nearly killing willie nelson in hawaii.
andymac 06 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

Was your dad not that taken with Willie`s tunes?
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed Userestivoautumnal)
>
> Not very famous. But I did trace my family tree back to the 13th century. Apparently, my side of the family are all decendants from a slightly famous Celibate Monk.

You're decended from a celibate monk? Now THAT'S an immaculate conception!
 Clarence 06 Jul 2013

My paternal grandmother was some distant relative of Michael Collins of Irish Independence fame. My maternal great grandfather had his family tree traced back to Richard III but I don't know the details so there may be some jiggery pokery involved. The search cost him a huge amount of money so I guess that the end result tended towards what he wanted rather than what was actually true.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...