Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Why so few trousers for the slightly taller than average?

Martin W on 03 Jul 2013
I'm 6ft tall, inside leg 34". I'm in the market for a new pair of trousers for walking and scrambling in the Scottish hills, to replace my old pair of Berghaus Statis trousers. So I'm looking for something in a medium weight fabric, preferably with a small amount of stretch, a bit of water-repellency - and long enough in the leg not to make me look like I've just put on a teenage growth spurt (my 50th birthday is but a fond memory).

That last feature seems to be extremely poorly catered for in the current market. I've just tried and returned a pair of Mountain Equipment Ibex trousers which met the other requirements but were just too damn short. According to ME's web site they do make them in a longer leg length, but no-one seems to actually stock them. I'm told that the Montane Terra is longish in the leg, but the fabric is too lightweight for my needs. (I tried a new pair of Statis trousers - which some retailers do stock in a longer leg - but Berghaus have changed the design of those completely, including reducing the fabric weight, so that's another reliable choice that's been taken away from me.)

What I am really struggling to understand just now is why outdoor clothing manufacturers and/or retailers don't seem to be interested in catering for people who are a little bit taller than the average. It's not as if I'm freakishly tall. Do they really expect reasonably fit, healthy people never to be have an inside leg of more than 32"?

Apart from blowing off steam a little, I'd add that if anyone can suggest a pair of trousers that might fit my requirements then I'd be happy to hear about it. Even more so if a retailer holding actual stock could be identified!
... not showing 22 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums