UKC

Hiding & protection for a axe and crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
misterfrogfish 03 Jul 2013
Hello,

I have decided to leave my axe and crampons (walking style, nothing flash) in Chamonix. It is the only place I use them.

I have found a good place near the campsite I normally stay at but it will be exposed to the environment, though not buried. Just wondered if anyone has done this and any recommendations on protecting them?

I was thinking about coating them in grease then in a plastic bin liner. They are not stainless.

Cheers.
Should be 'an axe'
 Tom F Harding 03 Jul 2013
In reply to misterfrogfish:

Let me know the spot and I will have a think as to what you need......
Underneath the dog kennel, outside the police station (Gendarmerie?)
 dutybooty 03 Jul 2013
In reply to misterfrogfish: Start walking up the path to Plan de L'Aigulle. Find a nice rock, lightly grease, place in small bag (technique extreme do some very cheap ones for about 10 euros), place under nice rock.

Come back next year.
 stewieatb 04 Jul 2013
In reply to misterfrogfish:

Make friends with a BMG or somebody who has an apartment out there and ask if you can keep them in their kit room? Ask the campsite owner nicely and bung them 20 euros. Or just bring them home, harden up and get out in the British winter.

"Storing" them somewhere outside is a nice way of losing £150 worth of kit and having to replace it at Chamonix prices next year.
 BnB 04 Jul 2013
In reply to misterfrogfish: leave them hidden out there and you'll fret all year until you come back to recover them. Is the worry worth the slight saving in luggage weight?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...