UKC

Duathlon Tips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 05 Jul 2013
I am considering entering a Duathlon in October. It is a 4 miles road run, 23 miles lumpy road cycle then another 4 mile road run.

I am comfortable with the running and the cycling, but after tips on transition and generally combining the disciplines.
 Liam M 05 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB: I've only done one and found the run to bike much harder than the bike to run transition.

It's worth practicing both, to get your legs used to what it feels like and making your transitions quicker.
 andy 05 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Is it the Helwith Bridge one? Me and Rubbishy did it a couple of years ago. The run's quite hilly so I'd save something for the second lap. The bike's nothing to worry about (I got through it by fuming about Leeds Bratfud tri club drafting their team mate who was likely to win the women's race all the way round despite what the rules say).
 stouffer 05 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Definitely second practising both run then bike and bike then run, or even doing a mini version of the race. I did my first duathlon in April just banking on the fact that I could run and cycle. Legs cramped up on the bike leg and I literally had to force my legs to move on the second run.

Unless you're ultra competitive don't sweat the transitions, and just work out what you're gonna do then make sure you've everything organised. I took a plastic box cos that's what I'd seen on the telly but blue Ikea bags were popular too. It was actually nice to take a little time to get a little rest!
 papashango 05 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Every time you go out for a bike ride make sure you go for a run afterwards.. Build up the length/intensity over time. For this set-up it is especially important as the two runs are equal length - you will lose loads of time on the second run if you haven't prepared!
 papashango 05 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

And elastic laces for your running shoes instantly save time in T2, and every time you go out running to be honest, definitely worth it!
OP The New NickB 05 Jul 2013
In reply to andy:

Yes it is Helwith Bridge.
 andy 06 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Good fun - not terribly intense, friendly event. Might join you if I can run ok by then - what's the date? Think I've gone up an age category so I might be able to gain respectability!
OP The New NickB 06 Jul 2013
In reply to andy:

13th October. Not running myself at the moment due to a foot injury, so doing a few more miles on the bike. Cragg Vale climb today.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...