UKC

Vertical Mile Climbing Challenge in aid of CANCER RESEARCH

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 dominic o 07 Jul 2013
I plan to climb a vertical mile of rock in 24hrs to raise funds for cancer research and care at The Christie and for Climbers Against Cancer.

I will be climbing solo on a number of Peak gritstone crags and clocking up something like 200 routes (unless weather dictates a retreat indoors).

To find out more and to support these great causes visit www.justgiving.com/DominicOughton

If you want to follow progress on "D-Day" (likely sometime around 14/15/16 August) then keep an eye on The Rucksack Club Blog: www.blog.RucksackClub.org or drop me an email to mileclimb@climbers.co.uk and I'll send you a link.

Cheers

Dominic
MarketBoy 19 Jul 2013
In reply to dominic o:
Good luck mate. A friend and I did this at Hatfield climbing wall a few years back. Took 8 hours for us to do a mile each (133 x 12m routes). My arms were still pumped and pulsating over 24 hours later.
OP dominic o 22 Jul 2013
In reply to MarketBoy:

cheers - that sounds like a pretty decent pace. I did a half-mile recce trip to Windgather and Castle Naze recently (85 routes) in about 4 hours.

Currently in the Alps (seeking high shady crags!) And planning my attempt for return in mid August. I'll keep you posted.

Dom
 pork pie girl 06 Aug 2013
In reply to dominic o: good luck Dominic.. brilliant reason to do it

PPG
OP dominic o 28 Aug 2013
In reply to dominic o:

Just a quick note to say a huge Thank You to everyone who has supported my Mile Climb Challenge in aid of Cancer Research at The Christie. I successfully completed the Challenge last week with just a few aches and pains (and no broken bones!) – 164 routes on Hobson Moor, Windgather, Castle Naze, The Roaches and Burbage North and about 25m over the mile marker. You’ll find some more details and a few pictures at http://www.blog.rucksackclub.org/?p=2945

Thanks to everyone’s generosity we’ve already raised over £3,000 for this great cause – I’ve been really overwhelmed with the support and the kind words.

Brilliant! Of course, the page is still open at www.justgiving.com/DominicOughton

Many thanks again!

Cheers

Dom

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...