UKC

Recommend a good Peak District campsite

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamie ward 09 Jul 2013
Can anyone recommend a good 'Peak District' campsite? Cheap, quite and good access to local walking/climbing, ideally not right next to a pub but one within walking distance, I usually stay at the 'Eric Byrne' campsite at the bottom of Birchen's edge but you cant drive up to it, otherwise it would be perfect.
 Sam_in_Leeds 09 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward:

One in Hope's nice.

Lane Side Farm I think it's called. It's on the left as you drive in to Hope off the main road. Just after the station.
But I bet everyone else will just say North Lees!
 DT5714 09 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward:

Another thumbs up for Laneside, I've stayed there twice and will be again at the end of August.
OP jamie ward 09 Jul 2013
In reply to DT5714: Thanks I will check it out, North lees is usually busy and pricey!
 Ramblin dave 09 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward:
Hardhurst Farm is good. Good location, handy for the pub, on site cafe for bacon butties.

The one in Hope is alright (and the pub there's better) although I've been kind of avoiding them on principle after me and two mates turned up to stay there for a night while we were doing an outdoor first-aid course and were subjected to a stringent cross examination to determine whether or not we were a gang of youths who were likely to drink cider and swear and upset the old biddies. It's got that sort of vibe.
OP jamie ward 09 Jul 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to jamie ward)
> Hardhurst Farm is good. Good location, handy for the pub, on site cafe for bacon butties.
>
> The one in Hope is alright (and the pub there's better) although I've been kind of avoiding them on principle after me and two mates turned up to stay there for a night while we were doing an outdoor first-aid course and were subjected to a stringent cross examination to determine whether or not we were a gang of youths who were likely to drink cider and swear and upset the old biddies. It's got that sort of vibe.

Thanks Dave, seems quite cheap as well, about £6.00 a night cheers
 payney1973 11 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward: second for Hardhurst farm
 Sam_in_Leeds 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
> (In reply to jamie ward)
>
> The one in Hope is alright (and the pub there's better) although I've been kind of avoiding them on principle after me and two mates turned up to stay there for a night while we were doing an outdoor first-aid course and were subjected to a stringent cross examination to determine whether or not we were a gang of youths who were likely to drink cider and swear and upset the old biddies. It's got that sort of vibe.

Just way I like it.

Keep the "cider and swearing yoof" out and leave a nice campsite for those that want to enjoy it.
Kipper 11 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward:

The one in Calver (Stocking Farm?) was quaint and fits the bill - if you're married. I've also heard rumour that it might now be caravans only, so wouldn't really be of any use...
 Bimble 11 Jul 2013
In reply to jamie ward:

The one next to the Roaches is cheap, if slightly lacking in facilities. It does make up for it with high-grade midges though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...