Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Car help - why is my parking brake efficiency so low?

Ben Sharp - on 10 Jul 2013
I just got my car back from it's MOT and it needs a few things, one of the things it failed on was having a rear park brake efficiency of 8%. Which I thought was pretty low?

I parked the car on a really steep hill last night and the hand brake held it fine (like a really steep hill. I was wondering how the score can be so low yet the handbrake seems to do the job in practice. I always thought if it held it on a hill then it would pass the MOT...guess not. So how do they test it?

Also I've been lazy in the past and just tightened the cable from under the handbrake gaitor before, is this a bad idea? I'm guessing if that would have passed it then they'd have done that instead of suggesting taking the drums apart. Is it possible that I've stretched the cable to the point where it is that that's causing the problem?

Cheers

Ben
... not showing 23 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums