UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: The Best 100 Climbs in Britain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 10 Jul 2013
Kendal Wall T Shirt Front, 2 kbIn a recent article there was a proposal of the 100 best climbs in Britain, only 7 of which were in the Lake District!So in response to this highly inaccurate list, we thought we would create our own list of the top 100 routes in Britain and as bias would have it, they are all in the Lakes area.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=5619
 Offwidth 10 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good repost! it did however make me think if we could get a list of 100 diffs better than Middle-fell Buttress
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to UKC Gear)
>
> Good repost! it did however make me think if we could get a list of 100 diffs better than Middle-fell Buttress

I can't think of one ! I'm annoyed that I didn't get chance to do it last week, but I always enjoy it. So please tell me of better diifs !

Is the Lakes 100 list available anywhere ?
 mattrm 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
> (In reply to Offwidth)
> [...]
>
> I can't think of one ! I'm annoyed that I didn't get chance to do it last week, but I always enjoy it. So please tell me of better diifs !
>
> Is the Lakes 100 list available anywhere ?

Check the link for the T:

http://www.kendalwall.co.uk/news-a-events/item/best-100-climbs-in-britain-e...
In reply to mattrm:

Only done 15 of those. Oh dear.

Since when was Tophet Wall Severe though?
 Offwidth 10 Jul 2013
In reply to victim of mathematics: A long while ago.

To answer Chris : Corvus, C Ordinary, Giants Crawl are all way better in the lakes. Any other starred diff I've done in the lakes I enjoyed more. Middle-fell is a few hard moves followed by a scramble/Easy and should really be a mod (Crescent route on Pavey is more than a grade harder). It's pleasant and a good way up to gimmer and easy to get to.
In reply to Offwidth:

As opposed to HS, that is.
In reply to victim of mathematics:

Shame on you! No wonder the routes in the Lakes all look dirty if no-one gets up there and does them

On first scanning I got 71 but there's a few (about 4 or 5) that I can't remember if I've done. Basically once you get to E6 the ticks become outnumbered by the crosses.

ALC
In reply to a lakeland climber:

I know, I know. I always end up in North Wales when there's a dodgy forecast (i.e. all the time) because between Tremadog, Gogarth and the slate, something is almost always dry and climbable. I don't know where the equivalent perma-dry weekend-saving places in the Lakes are? St Bees? The Duddon? The Eden Valley? All the good stuff is really in the mountains where the weather tends to be.
 Skyfall 10 Jul 2013
Where are the likes of Kennel Wall, Troutdale Pin Superdirect, Aphasia...?
 Simon Caldwell 10 Jul 2013
I've done 17 - way more than I expected!
In reply to UKC Gear:

Why doesn't somebody make a UKC ticklist of this?

I would, but I ought to actually do some work...
 Chris the Tall 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
Don't want to quibble over grades but surely with MFB it all depends upon the start. I have bad memories of that lower crack (I guess you'd love it) so always avoid it by going up the wall to the right or walking round. Above that it's just lovely clean, open climbing, but with a bit of a sting on the final buttress.

I don't doubt that Crescent climb is harder but if it is anything like Crescent Slabs, I won't be soloing it - too much wet rock, vegetation and unstable ground for my liking.

Certainly enjoyed Corvus, but all I remember is the hand traverse section.

Not done the two on Dow Crag, but it's got me thinking !
 Jonny2vests 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Put down the keyboard and step away from middlefell buttress.
 Offwidth 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:

The direct starts are more fun but a lot harder than diff and they make the climb even more unbalanced in difficulty. Dow is ace.
 nigel baker 10 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC Gear: Bear in mind it's not a grading discussion, but what are the best routes, taken from guidebooks....that grade standing....I think!!!!
 Kendal Wall 10 Jul 2013
We have now added a tick list, get out there and enjoy them

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=645
 jon 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Kendal Wall:

Is it the 94 best or the 100 best? Am I missing something?
In reply to Kendal Wall:

Surely it should be Gillette Direct not Gillette?

ALC
 Rick Graham 10 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:
> (In reply to Kendal Wall)
>
> Is it the 94 best or the 100 best? Am I missing something?

The Kendal Wall 6a+, But that only adds up to 95.

Can anybody be bothered to count them?

Not my top 100 but who cares.
In reply to UKC Gear:

Quite absurd that Haste Not isn't there - a much better route than Gordian Knot.
 jon 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Can anybody be bothered to count them

No. But there are numbers down the side - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=645
 lithos 10 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:

shame they cant get the right crag for corvus ! or add Napes Needle - as if it wasnt in there already!
In reply to Rick Graham:

The wrong Corvus, the wrong Napes Needle, the wrong Ash Tree Slabs and no Mandrake...

Can't be bothered to work out what else is wrong/missing.
 Calder 11 Jul 2013

Also the wrong Tapestry (should be the Pillar E4).
 Kendal Wall 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Calder: Thanks for all the corrections! Tick list has been updated:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/set.php?id=645.
Clearly there will be disagreements about the contents but we tried not to allow too much personal bias towards any one area or crag unlike a certain publication...
 Calder 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Kendal Wall:

If 94 was 99...

Oh, wait...

As you say, some debate is unavoidable. But I'm sure most would agree with 80% - 90% of them at least.

And well done for rectifying the injustice done by said article!
 GPN 11 Jul 2013
In reply to Kendal Wall:
Whist you're at it, Napes Needle, The Go Between and Gillette (Direct!) need correcting too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...