UKC

M5 scottish winter equivilent grade?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 robhowell 10 Jul 2013
As the title suggests, any thoughts?
 CurlyStevo 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell:
I thought the rule was approx add 2 to get the tech grade, I've only done the D grades but they are supposed to be equivalent to M grades I think.
 Aly 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell: I suspect it can vary quite a bit. I've only ever climbed one pitch graded M5 which I thought would be 'proper' Lochnagar II/III.
 Jim Fraser 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell:

How can there be a Scottish winter equivalent to a grading that is not intended for rimed rock, frozen cracks and turf?
 Exile 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell:

in my limited experience with M grades Scottish 6 - 7, (depending on how sustained,) for straight technical equivalent, but prob 5 - 6 in terms of 'effort' needed to climb it.
 vscott 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell:

As above - pretty hard to convert with any accuracy, but as a general idea for snowed up rock, experienced M-grade climabers (North Americans and continentals visiting Scotland) have suggested that e.g. Fallout Corner - benchmark (soft) VI 7 snowed up rock is around M5, and said the same for gargoyle wall VI 6.
 HeMa 10 Jul 2013
In reply to Jim Fraser:

> How can there be a Scottish winter equivalent to a grading that is not intended for rimed rock, frozen cracks and turf?

You're wrong, M-grades can be used for all that, and they are.

At least to me, this looks very much like some of the photos I've seen from Scottland
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GEIqrDmBces/UXF6Id7oTQI/AAAAAAAAHPw/RIJhveyvNtY/s...

But oddly, it is given a M -grade (after all, it was climbed with crampons and ice tools, plus involved ice, snow, rock and most likely also frozewn moss...

Here's some other M -graded climbs...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HmaB4ELJ5qA/US36MVrMAcI/AAAAAAAAG1A/lrIH9ckmgAs/s...
 andyinglis 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell: M5 equates to roughly Scottish technical 7 difficulties. Nuff said.
 CurlyStevo 10 Jul 2013
In reply to andyinglis:
Aye +2 to tech grade is the rule of thumb I've always used.
OP robhowell 10 Jul 2013
In reply to robhowell:

Cheers for the replies folks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...