UKC

Avon gorge 'Unknown area' access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james.slater 11 Jul 2013
I heard about a serious rockfall here a few months back? Anyone know exactly which bit suffered, and what the access situation is?

Cheers, James.
 Cheese Monkey 11 Jul 2013
In reply to vertigo714: I have heard so many conflicting reports on what is and isnt banned now I'm about ready to ignore the lot.

I've heard that the entire of Unknown area is banned except for the climbs on the ramp. Or only the routes past New Horizons are banned. Or that its all open except to stay away from the rockfall area.
 Bobling 11 Jul 2013
In reply to vertigo714:

Doesn't Climb Bristol have something on its facebook page? Here from 23rd April: "The access restrictions in the Unknown area remain in place for the time being. Cheers, Martin", not sure if that is the most up to date thing though as not on FB. I'm interested to know too as Unknown Wall has been on my ticklist for a loooong time.
 Bobling 12 Jul 2013
In reply to vertigo714:

Bump. Anyone have more up to date info?
 AJM 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Bobling:

I've not heard of anything changing - everything below and left of the ramp is still closed as far as I'm aware.
OP james.slater 13 Jul 2013
In reply to vertigo714: Climbed on the ramp yesterday, and met another party who had climbed desecrator, so still unsure about the 'official' access situation, but people are obviously climbing there anyway.
 Dave Cundy 15 Jul 2013
In reply to vertigo714:
My mates climbed Desecrator on Friday afternoon while I watched them from the belay above. The climb itself is completely unchanged. However, you can see that a big slab has come down, 10m wide and probably 1-2m deep, at the far end (nearest the sea). There is a big debris field which needs to be crossed on the way up to this area but once you get to the Desecrator belay, it looks fine.

That said, if the far end can fall down, what is holding up the rest ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...