UKC

Paramo up high and far away

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Carol Goodall 12 Jul 2013
I have a Paramo Velez Adventure Light smock which I get on well with in Scotland. However when I go to the Alps in summer or for ski touring I pack a hardshell because for no particular reason I just don't trust the Paramo in a full on blizzard up high (which I generally try to avoid anyway).

I'm trying to decide what to pack for 3 weeks of mountaineering in Kyrgyzstan this summer up to 5000m. As we won't have access to a weather forecast I want to be prepared in case we get caught out by a blizzard.

I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad with using Paramo in Alpine, Himalayan or even Tien Shan areas?
 Got a job rob 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Carol Goodall: Just one question, why do you think you will get worse weather than you get in Scotland? -27C, 142 mph wind, 238mm of rain in 24 hours. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/ and your happy to use paramo out there.
 Hannes 12 Jul 2013
In reply to Carol Goodall: Well, I took my aspira set when I went to Kyrgyzstan, Tien Shan, a little over 5000m and it performed flawlessly. Disclaimer, all the paramo gear I had was sponsored for the expedition but I'd never used it or really considered it even before I got it and was pleasantly surprised. In fact, the paramo gear strikes me as the perfect shell layer for expeditions and winter. You won't get rained on and the shell is only for protection from the elements otherwise. I am not a fan of the stuff in the wet though. What it does do is breathe far better than any gore tex shell which I found fantastic for when it isn't awful weather meaning you don't have to faff with taking off and putting on layers all the time.

I climbed in a base layer and my aspira smock, when the sun came up and it started getting warm I rolled up the sleeves of the smock and undid the zips. When night came I rolled down the sleeves and zipped up. When we hit two in the morning I put on a belay jacket. Had I been in a traditional gore tex outfit I would have had to take it off after about seven in the morning the first day if I wasn't sweating like a pig before then and put it back in the evening. I would probably have had to put on a belay jacket every time I belayed as it would have been too cold for a softshell alone while being stationary but too warm for a gore tex jacket.

In short, I think it is the perfect clothing set up if you aren't expecting to get rained on. I know lots of people prefer it in the rain but I'm not one of them. I used aspira smock and salopettes, my friend used a velez smock with one of their velvety looking fleeces and aspira salopettes and his seemed like a slightly more comfortable solution actually.
 walts4 13 Jul 2013
In reply to Carol Goodall:

After witnessing my mate suffering with near hyperthermia in a 15 abseil descent off a route in the alps in the rain, hail, full on storm wearing paramo, I've not been their biggest fan. Think you already know the answer, take the Gore-Tex.
 sbc_10 13 Jul 2013
In reply to walts4:

I was happy with my Paramo Velez Adventure lite for 5 weeks in Norway last year, but it was relatively dry climatically. The issue I had was the thickness and warmth. As a do-all outer garment it stayed on most of the time, so when it was warm and humid in the valleys it was difficult to regulate excessive heat, and then on the ice-cap with a Northerly blow I was wishing I had the full thickness version.
So the best solution maybe to go very light with the Paramo and then have a super light Gore-tex smock to add extra wind and water resistance.
yokeybrian 13 Jul 2013
I'm trying to decide what to pack for 3 weeks of mountaineering in Kyrgyzstan this summer up to 5000m. As we won't have access to a weather forecast I want to be prepared in case we get caught out by a blizzard. http://www.jordanonlines.com/
OP Carol Goodall 14 Jul 2013
In reply to Hannes: Glad you got on well with paramo and thanks for the heads up on layering.
OP Carol Goodall 14 Jul 2013
In reply to walts4: Yes, despite Hannes' post above, your experience is exactly what I'm afriad of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...