UKC

Polarised views

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 12 Jul 2013
Anybody use a polariser filter day-in-day-out, or are these filters just for special occasions?
 d_b 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I always carry one, but don't use it all the time.

Just the thing if you want a crazy blue sky.
OP The Lemming 12 Jul 2013
In reply to davidbeynon:

I am off to a seaside port tomorrow and with the forecasts for blistering sun, I was toying with the idea of replacing my UV filter and leaving the Polar filter on till I return home.

I'm aware of the fact that the let less light in but I was hoping that the extra light will compensate.
 Blue Straggler 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

I barely use them. Mind you, they are not too relevant for most of my pics!

I think this thread will fill up with people saying "use them when it's right to use them"
In reply to The Lemming:

Why not take both filters?
 dpm23 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: Will deepen the blue of the sea and sky so probably a good thing. Take them both.
In reply to The Lemming:

Serious answer....when I am out in the sunshine I tend to keep the filter on, it only comes off when the shutter speeds are starting to look low. If the pic is looking a bit over-polarised (aforementioned "crazy blue" skies etc you should be able to adjust the polariser to reduce the effect. There are situations where you are better to take it off but I'll leave you to read up on this sort of thing in your own time - plenty of arguments and opinions about "when and how"...
In reply to dpm23:
> (In reply to The Lemming) Will deepen the blue of the sea and sky so probably a good thing. Take them both.

Cut through haze and reduce saturated reflections is my main use for them.
 fhuaran 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: There's only any point in using a polariser when the shot requires it - otherwise you're cutting out 50% or 75% (1 or 2 stops) of light which tends to either mean higher ISO (more noise) or slower shutter speed (higher chance of noticeable camera shake). I don't think polarisers shouldn't be used "always on" like you see UV and protection filters being used.

However when it helps the shot, they can work wonders! Be careful using them at focal lengths equivalent to 24mm or less, full frame, because the filter has most effect when it's facing perpendicular to the light-source. If the shot is wide-angle the sky in the corners will likely be washed out if the centre is properly exposed.
 radson 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

You know that whole thing about UV filters being basically useless for digital camera.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8049091537/the-uv-filter
 IoanTataru 12 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I suppose you are talking about circular polarizer filter
1 - Over 3000m polarizers will make your photos look like moon landing pics. So beware
2 - They do add some contrast and better cloud deffinition, but also remove about 2 f-stops worth of light.

UV filters are quite good lens cap replacements. So you don't have to remove the cap to shoot.
In reply to The Lemming:
> Anybody use a polariser filter day-in-day-out, or are these filters just for special occasions?

I used to use one day in day out, but I've moved u o a UWA lens for landscapes and so it's only on occasion now.
In reply to radson: I don't use my UV filter to filter the UV. I use it as a lens cap so I don't have to fiddle about with a plastic one when I'm trying to get a shot of a fast moving target.

I use my Polarised lens for days like most of this week. creates a lovely picture when used in bright sun if used correctly!
In reply to radson:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> You know that whole thing about UV filters being basically useless for digital camera.

You came to that conclusion from just one website!?
 radson 13 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

yeah I have only ever read one website about photography.
 Bob Hughes 13 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming: does the part of the lens you fit the filter to rotate when you focus? some do, some don't. If it does it can mess with the polarising filter
 fhuaran 13 Jul 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-spot-an-amateur.htm

There's definitely a consensus among the mainstream technical websites.
OP The Lemming 13 Jul 2013
In reply to fhuaran:

I am an amateur and proud of it. What is so wrong with being a punter?

Or must we all be perceived as experts?
In reply to fhuaran:
> (In reply to highclimber) http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-to-spot-an-amateur.htm
>
> There's definitely a consensus among the mainstream technical websites.

Not really, he's been slated for most of those "facts". Most pros will use a tripod for instance, his example photo is ugly as sin too.
 radson 13 Jul 2013
I cant stand rockwell. I'm a bythom.com guy

OP The Lemming 13 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

For anybody that is interested, so far I have had 50-50 results but of the winners, the skys have been deep blues.

It is only because it is so hot and bright that I am considering this experiment.

At the moment I am reviewing the results on my Tablet. It seems as though the filter is making the images blurred and out of focus. Is that par for the course?
 radson 14 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Something is definitely wrong. Are you using a circular polariser or a cheaper linear.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/polarizers.shtml
OP The Lemming 14 Jul 2013
In reply to radson:

Its a circular filter, fairly cheap at roughly £60. Quite a large diamiter of 67mm.
 ChrisJD 14 Jul 2013
In reply to stroppygob:

I'm not a great fan of Ken, but liked this link he provided to what a camera should look like....

http://karlgrobl.com/EquipmentReviews/ThrashedCanons.htm
 dpm23 14 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Definitely not par for the course. What were your shutter speeds? If you check your shutter speed but then rotate the filter to increase the polarising effect your shutter speed will have got slower. So it's possible to shoot at a slower speed than you were expecting. A cheap filter shouldn't matter as long as it is clean.
 dpm23 14 Jul 2013
In reply to dpm23: Should read 'may have got slower'. Obviously depends on your shooting mode.
 TobyA 14 Jul 2013
 Arjen 15 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I use one regularly if there's enough light. It makes the sky a lot more blue, and brings some more colour into pictures.

For photographing bugs, consider to use 'cross-polarization', where you use a polarizer on your camera and on your flash. It's a little tweaky to set up, but it gives really cool results with very little highlights...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...