UKC

Gouter Hut waiting list

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BCT 14 Jul 2013
Me and my partner have been waiting all year to book our Gouter hut spaces but alas fully booked! Instead we have had to go on a waiting list. Has anyone been on this and what experience do you have? i.e have you actually been offered a space in the end?
Would be a huge shame not to be able to finish our trip in style
cheers
B
 Harry Ellis 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T: Why not do the 3 monts instead? Not really any harder and if u bivi on the col du midi it works out cheaper too.
 Petarghh 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T: so many people head up there without a booking, take bivi gear, try to get in the hut and if not just bivi then stash the gear.
 Lesdavmor 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:
Book 2 successive nights at the Tete Rousse
OP BCT 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:
I ended up getting e-mails telling me about last minute available spaces. This could have been due to bad weather (which is why we didn't jump at the opportunity).
Our plan b was the tete rousse hut. Unfortunately we had 3 days of storms so couldn't do it at all. The mountain will be there next year
 ByEek 12 Aug 2013
In reply to thegoatstroker:
> (In reply to Beth-Cath-T) Why not do the 3 monts instead? Not really any harder and if u bivi on the col du midi it works out cheaper too.

Another vote for the 3 Ms and if you don't want to cart a load of bivi stuff around, just doss down in the Midi station until midnight. Taking a foam mat or similar to lie on makes things a bit more comfortable. The best spot (warmest) is on the stairwell that leads to the observation platform that looks over the 3Ms. Leaving early also ensures you are well clear of the 2am rush from the Cosmique Hut.
 Ian Archer 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:
Hello Beth when I was there three years ago you could phone the day before for stand by place and we got in (4 of us) and it was this time of year. If it were me I would do another route. The Gouter route is very busy and the gully below the hut a very dangerous place. Do not think you are safe at the side of the gully, rocks bounce around and hit these places. A quick dash to the rib is best.
 hairy51 12 Aug 2013
In reply to Beth-Cath-T:

We did this route a couple of weeks ago and camped at the Tete Rousse hut. We had dinner in the hut and would recommend it. Slightly longer summit day but still managed to get to the summit and back down to the train with plenty of time to spare.

Couloir defo scary, we saw some huge rockfalls whilst we were chilling at the campsite, but nothing during our climb luckily.

Good luck!
In reply to Beth-Cath-T: Did similar to Hairy51 recently camping on the glacier by the Tete R. hut and is fairly simple but defiantly leave early as as the Grand Couloir tends to fire microwave size blocks down to the Brenva glacier over the crossing after 3ish!
 jon 14 Aug 2013
In reply to samjames91:
> the Grand Couloir tends to fire microwave size blocks down to the Brenva glacier over the crossing after 3ish!

Now that would be impressive!

ianstevens 14 Aug 2013
In reply to jon: It is. And looks terrifying.
OP BCT 14 Aug 2013
But the new Gouter hut is so new and shiney......
 jon 14 Aug 2013
In reply to ianstevens:

You mean the sight of them flying over the summit of Mont Blanc?
 MG 14 Aug 2013
In reply to ianstevens: Do the Italians know?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...