UKC

Panasonic GX1 - thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Brian Pollock 15 Jul 2013
Does anyone have any experience of the Panasonic Lumix GX1? Also considering the older GF1 if I can get a good deal.

Also any experiences with lenses for these cameras?

Not sure whether to get power zoom lens for the GX1 or the regular zoom lens (both 14-42mm I think). Also, the 20mm pancake lens seems to be very popular but not sure if it would be worth getting 2 lenses.

I'm mainly planning on using it for photos / videos of bouldering and climbing in general plus lots of mountain landscapes.
 dgp 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock: I love my gx1!. Got fed up with my heavy dslr and inevitably stopped carrying it on trips into the hills. I have the GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom and the pancake lens. Despite the good reviews of the pancake 20mm - I now rarely use it. I can't detect any improved image quality. Battery life is much less using the power lens though.
 ScraggyGoat 15 Jul 2013
In reply to Brian Pollock:
I have a gf1. The body can be brought for about ninety pounds second hand, so I don't worry about it too much. I have the 14, 14-45', 45-200 lenses. The 45-200 isn't quiet as sharp as the others, which are very crisp. Can't comment on the gx1.
 Damo 15 Jul 2013
In reply to dgp:
> (In reply to Brian Pollock) I love my gx1!. Got fed up with my heavy dslr and inevitably stopped carrying it on trips into the hills. I have the GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom

How do you find the 14-42 pz? It got such bad reviews it put me off buying it on a G3. I thought it would have made a great combo for climbing.
 ChrisJD 16 Jul 2013

The Gf-1 and 20mm combo is legendary.

I had this combo as my compact camera and thought it was great. Gf1 lovely to use and IQ good at low iso, not so good higher. The 20mm lens is one of the best micro 43 lenses out there.

If you've more money to burn, look at the Fuji X range or Sony nex.

(My compact is now an XE1) (Recent threads on fuji and nex cameras, so no need to rehash all again)
 dgp 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Damo: I'm really pleased with it - fits the bill perfectly for winter ice, summer rock and landscapes. I also have the 20mm pancake lens as this has great reviews but have to admit I rarely use it - much prefer the 14-42 pz
OP Brian Pollock 16 Jul 2013

I was considering the GF1 second hand off ebay, however, they all seem to be a bit pricey (>£200) considering GX1s are going for similar prices.

Roughly what sort of battery life do you get with power zoom lens?

I noticed the body only GF1s are pretty cheap. Does anyone know how much you could pick up a 20mm pancake lens and 14-42mm second hand? I'm struggling to find them at a price that makes it worth buying a body only camera.
 ChrisJD 16 Jul 2013

The 20mm lens do go for £200+

GF-1 Bodies <£100

I think it might be better to buy camera and lens as a package then.

Has anyone had both the GF1 and GX1? Any noticeable improvements from experience?

Also, what do you mainly use the 20mm pancake lens for? I think I'll definitely want the 14-42mm for general use but I'd be tempted by the 20mm if its really good for wide angle landscape shots.

I just accidentally bought a GX1 with 14-42mm power zoom lens for £280 on ebay. It's a Panasonic refurb so as good as new.

It was on a £300 buy it now or best offer listing. I put in a couple of offers to test the water and my final one got accepted.

Pretty happy as the cheapest I've found it elsewhere is about £340ish.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...