UKC

NEWS: UPDATE: Ullrich and Muskett climb the Indian Face

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 16 Jul 2013
Calum Muskett, high on The Indian Face, Cloggy, 2 kbLast week, The Indian Face, E9 6c, got three more repeats first from James McHaffie (Caff) and then it saw two repeats in the same day from Calum Muskett and George Ullrich, making the 6th and 7th repeats respectively. UKC managed to catch up with the two of them to talk a bit further about their ascents of such a famous route - the first E9 in the world - and an iconic testament to Johnny Dawes' skill and boldness...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68213
 Aigen 16 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News: I wonder what the guys would say as to how on-sight-able this route is?
 Dan Arkle 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Aigen:
>I wonder what the guys would say as to how on-sight-able this route is?

Caff answers that in his blog, you'd have to feel invincible - http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/caffs-blog.html
 jazzyjackson 16 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Dems some scary biscuits! Hats off

JJ
 James Oswald 16 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:
I watched both of these ascents.

Calum looked completely and utterly solid, watching from the descent route I couldn't see the slapping he mentioned!

George I thought was a lot more hesitant and scary to watch.. Especially some minor foot shaking right near the end of the runout!

Well done to them both
 Keendan 16 Jul 2013
In reply to James Oswald:

Lucky guy watching the ascents!
 Jamie B 16 Jul 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:

> Lucky guy watching the ascents!

I was there the day before ardently hoping I *didn't* have to watch the big lead!

Misha 16 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:
I think the first photo doesn't really do the route justice, it's a lot steeper than that!
 owensum 16 Jul 2013
Id like to hear them speak to their motivations to do the route. Was it worth the risk?
 James Oswald 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:
I didn't feel especially lucky at the time, it was very very tense! Noone on the other routes even dared to tell their climbing partners they were off belay...
 Skyfall 17 Jul 2013

I'm sure they are both delighted at your analysis of their climbing....
 James Oswald 17 Jul 2013
In reply to Skyfall:

Ha!

It was an brilliant effort from both of them.
pasbury 17 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Daniel Heath)
> I didn't feel especially lucky at the time, it was very very tense! Noone on the other routes even dared to tell their climbing partners they were off belay...

Brilliant! - that really conjures up the atmosphere.
 kaiser 17 Jul 2013
In reply to UKC News:

"From the moment I told myself I would lead it, I had a constant sick feeling. Just thinking about it made me nervous. It seemed that the only way to get rid of this feeling was to go and climb the route."

That rather sums up climbing for me... The obsession, the compulsion...
 Banned User 77 17 Jul 2013
In reply to James Oswald: Glad I wasn't there.. I'd have hated to watch it to be honest.. even reading about it makes my heart race..

Cal had mentioned it a while back so I knew he fancied it and there's no chance you can talk him out of it.. but couldn't have watched..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...