UKC

No idea

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stuart45678 18 Jul 2013
Hi guys, I use to mess about climbing as a kid and have recently started bouldering (about a week ago). I live beside Macduff on the North East coast of Scotland and have discovered a couple of bouldering problems. From what I know there arn't that many boulderers and what not around this area so I was wondering if you would be able to help me determine a rough grade estimation for these little problems ive found. Obviously you would have to climb them to see exactly but if i were to post a video or photo etc of the route do you think you could help? Like I said before though I am extremely new to this so any help would be useful. Id just like to see where I'm at as im completely clueless at this moment in time. Thanks.
 jkarran 18 Jul 2013
In reply to stuart45678:

Climbing in isolation (with or without background experience) it can be hard to work out where you're at in the grand scheme of things, I did it for a fair while and I still have no idea how hard my problems were. In many ways it doesn't matter, you'll get a feel for where your problems fit in relation to each other. I used to think of them in terms of days or weeks of effort, gave me a rough way of sorting them mentally. As you build experience and travel you'll be able to have a go at then ranking your stuff against established problems elsewhere but even that is not easy.

Stick the videos up though, it could be interesting, you never know what you'll get on here.

jk
stuart45678 18 Jul 2013
In reply to jkarran: Thanks alot for your response mate, I totally see where you're coming from in terms for finding where you're at. I am the type of person that really challenges myself so im not sure whether or not im trying things out my reach yet haha. I will try and complete the tougher problem again and get a video up here for you to see, its on a cave wall sloping around 40 degrees i would say. Even if its not that technically difficult im still pretty chuffed that i can actually hold my bodyweight and jump for holds at that angle considering ive had no experience haha. Tomorrow though i'll head over and try get some video footage to receive some feedback. Many thanks again for your response.
 GrahamJ 18 Jul 2013
In reply to stuart45678:

Closest venue for some grade comparison would be at Cullen Caves just along the coast. Nothing particulalry easy there though.

For more lower grade bouldering than you can shake a stick at, try Katty's Leap towards Fraserburgh.

Otherwise, Buchan Ness near Peterhead, a few easier problems, nice overhanging 25deg.

Check them out here:

https://www.scottishclimbs.com/wiki/Guides

You also have Cummingston on the coast near Elgin which trumps all of the above but a different style being on Sandstone. There used to be an SC guide but it looks like you may need to get a copy of "Boulering in Scotland" as it is not on the website anymore.

Graham
stuart45678 19 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamJ: Thanks alot Graham for your response. I shall have a look at these problems and will reply with my performance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...