UKC

Easiest route up scarfell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stuee01 18 Jul 2013
Hi, Walking scarfell in a couple of months and would like to know the easiest route up.
I did Snowdon a couple of months ago which was fine, no problems.
I'm camping at Wasdale camp site.
Many thanks, Stuart.
 Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2013
In reply to stuee01: Scafell (pronounced Scawfell, though). Or do you mean Scafell Pike, which is the higher of the two? If you're wanting to do the Pike the nearest is the Brown Tongue route up to Mickledore then turn left. Not much pleasure in it, though, IMHO.
For the most enjoyable route (longer but easier and much nicer) walk up to Styhead Tarn then take the Corridor route. Going up to Styhead, with a bit of map reading nous you can pick up an old un-worn track on the south side of the beck which is much nicer and quieter than the stony track up to Styhead. If you don't already have it I would strongly recommend you buy the BMC Mountain Map of the Lakes which should enable you to find that track. Then you can descend by Brown Tongue (still not very nice in descent!)
http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Books-Maps-DVDs/British-Maps/British-...
It's £15 but money well spent. Weatherproof, lightweight, covers the whole Lakes in one sheet, and you can fold it to put it in your pocket. The only Lakes map you'll ever need!
BTW, Scafell, the lower of the two, is a much quieter and more select summit. Much harder to get to, especially from Wasdale.
Hope you have a great day!
 Simon Caldwell 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> If you're wanting to do the Pike the nearest is the Brown Tongue route up to Mickledore then turn left

Or follow the new motorway that forks left at Hollow Stones. It's easy to find, you just follow the 3 Peakers (last weekend there was a continuous progression of them in both directions from morning to evening).
 simondgee 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:
Hey Rog (hijack) I was wondering when the names of the likes of Dow Crag and Scafell got changed from their historic spelling (Doe and Scawfell) as they used to appear on the old FRCC (original) guides ...it is suprising to me how recent it was really (within 100 years).
 graeme jackson 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:
> For the most enjoyable route (longer but easier and much nicer) walk up to Styhead Tarn then take the Corridor route.

And make a point of detouring up to the summit of Lingmell. IMO this gives the best view down borrowdale EVER!
 Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2013
In reply to simondgee: Yes, interesting. I have friends who always pronounce Dow as Doe. The proximity of Buck Pike might be an indication.
 Rog Wilko 19 Jul 2013
In reply to graeme jackson: Yes, great idea. You'll almost certainly get it to yourself.
 ablackett 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Rog Wilko:

> BTW, Scafell, the lower of the two, is a much quieter and more select summit. Much harder to get to, especially from Wasdale.

Scafell isn't hard to get to from Wasdale, just aim uphill, go to the right of the crags/scree, and keep heading up to the small notch in the skyline then turn right (it's the Bob Graham anticlockwise route).

It's hard to find a safe route up Scafell if you find yourself at Mickledore (the col between Scafell and Scafell Pike). You have a very exposed scramble (broad stand) or a few other options, the easiest and safest of which is to descend to the outflow of foxes tarn and climb to the small tarn then climb the scree path.

stewart murray 19 Jul 2013
In reply to stuee01: If you're going up Scafell Pike from Wasdale there's an excellent way up following the left hand (in ascent) bank of Piers Ghyll eventually joining up with the Corridor Route. This is slightly more adventurous than the Corridor Route as it does get close to the edge of the ghyll in places and has a few scrambly bits (though not near the edge of the ghyll)

From the summit of Scafell Pike you can either descend via Corridor Route or Brown Tongue (shorter) or descend to Mickledore, pick up the Foxes Tarn path to the summit of Scafell and then descend into Wasdale down the shoulder.

Of course the best way up Scafell is via Horn Crag and Slight Side from Wha House in Eskdale. If you specifically want to go up Scafell I'd consider driving round to Eskdale just for this.
J1234 19 Jul 2013
In reply to stewart murray:
Actually the best way up Scafell is via the East Buttress. The best way up Scafell Pike is Thors Buttress and Pen, and the best way down is via Lingmell .
 GeoffRadcliffe 19 Jul 2013
In reply to sjc:
> (In reply to stewart murray)
> Actually the best way up Scafell is via the East Buttress.

Taking in Ichabod?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...