UKC

My 8 year old's first climbing trip

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
MarketBoy 19 Jul 2013
Hi UKCers.

I'm taking my eldest boy (8) to the Manifold Valley next weekend. He's been on the climbing wall and did quite well, but I'd like to top rope him on some moderate routes on a real crag. I've been on Beeston Tor many moons ago (Pocket Symphony, The Thorn, Black Grub) but there's nothing less than VS on it.

Does anyone have a thought as to where I could take him with easy angled slabs, single pitch moderates and good anchors at the top for top roping and possible abseil set up ??

Any thoughts gratefulluy received.

Cheers ... M

Exile 19 Jul 2013
In reply to MarketBoy:

I don't know the area that well at all, but when we were there I went to the Roaches for my boys to climb.
 tlm 19 Jul 2013
In reply to MarketBoy:

How about Harborough rocks?

"A delighful, open mini-edge around 6m high. Along with Rainster Rocks offers a unique experience of climbing on dolomitic limestone, a highly pocketed, juggy rock. Super soloing or family picnic venue in summer. Nothing too hard except the short but sharp VSs. Best routes are Steeple Arete (VD), Trident Arete (HD) and Creased Wall (VS 4c). Other stange shaped pinnacles in the area to explore"
 Ann S 19 Jul 2013
In reply to tlm:

Second Harborough Rocks -bombproof rock with short quirky routes. Easy walk in as well.
 Yanis Nayu 19 Jul 2013
In reply to Ann S: Thirded, from experience of taking my daughter there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...