Expedition & Alpine forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Climbing in the Alps

ssstrick - on 20 Jul 2013
Hoping this is in the right section...

Anyway, I'm a keen UK hill walker. I've been up various peaks in Snowdonia, Brecon and the Lake District as well as a bit of outdoor climbing, although most of my climbing is indoors due to my location.

I've always wanted to climb in the Alps and am looking to make this transition, possibly next summer after a recent move to Germany. The question is, basically, what is the best way of going about it? I've seen 'Intro to the Alps' style courses that teach you about the glaciers, crevasse rescue, ice axe and crampon use etc etc., but is that the best way to go about it? Or is trying to find an experienced climber willing to take me under their wing and 'train me up' a better approach?

UK hillwalking is pretty straight forward, along with the scrambles being all down to common sense, and even the basic ins and outs of rock climbing I managed to teach myself, but I understand there is a lot to learn before I just decide to drive to the alps and crack on.

All help appreciated.
... not showing 4 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums