UKC

Overtrained recently?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Keendan 21 Jul 2013
It's always a balance of self control and psyche when you have all the factors coming together at once and the freedom to climb every day.

This summer I really screwed myself over. 3 days took me from bouncing off the walls to absolutely trashed (first visit to Malham). Denial lasted for at least a week before I rested long enough.

Impatience caused me to throw away two weeks of climbing in the sun, but I finally have that old feeling of a full battery and psyche bubbling over.

Have you experienced such a comprehensive burnout?
 Bulls Crack 21 Jul 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath:

Not entire;y sure what you're talking about ...sorry!
ice.solo 21 Jul 2013

you describe it well, especially the denial part.

i banged my head against the overtraining wall for years, even thinking built in rests would fix it, not realizing it takes (for me at least) a whole rethink of how 'training' really works.
once on track tho, shazzam!! new level of progress. remarkable really.

bummer you missed 2 weeks of warm rock, but assume it will serve you better in the big picture.
 RockSteady 22 Jul 2013

I've definitely overtrained for a couple of rock climbing trips. Throw in extra sessions, train harder and harder to the point where I'm feeling knackered most of the time, take 2 days rest and expect to crank when out there. Results in feeling tired and weak until the end of the week, and peaking two weeks after getting home and having had a week's rest!
 jazzyjackson 22 Jul 2013

My main prob is discipline on the bike! I ride alone so its all too easy to go totally berzerk. I just don't get the same pleasure from low intensity. If u read any training books, esp the Cylists Training Bible you read in chapter one that discipline is key.

Not every mission can be at race speed!

Like u say its easy to totally screw yourself over. The window of overtraining symptoms is large, I normally just feel utterly washed out for days, getting headrushes when I stand up and feeling v grumpy until I get 2-4 days enforced rest. Ive heard it can be so serious as to take months to recover from properly!

It's frustrating having limitations esp when the sun shines and you have time off!

You sound as bad as me.
; )

iksander 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Daniel Heath: Shagged 3-4 finger pulleys - but suspect this is down to being overwight rather than over training...
OP Keendan 22 Jul 2013
In reply to iksander:

Ouch, a pulley injury is the worst, makes me feel lucky to be tired for a few weeks rather than injured for months.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...