UKC

Swiss guide book

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bhealey 22 Jul 2013
Hey,

Looking for a guide or topo for easy grade trad in Switzerland I'm going to Lucerne for a week with the missis and want to get some trad done but only at a max of vs. I been looking at some of the guides but they are either graded harder than I'd like or written in languages I don't speak if anyone could help even with a few downloads or something that would be great.

Cheers,
Ben
 SiWood 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Bhealey:

Unfortunately pure trad climbing is about as rare as a cheap pint of beer in Switzerland. Most of the popular routes are either partly or fully bolted - its just the way here (perhaps due to the compact nature of much of the rock). There are routes which can be traditionally protected - there is guidebook called Keep Wild which describes them. Certainly all the lower lying crags around Lucerne are bolted. It may be possible to find Trad routes up towards Furka & Susten passes but again the popular routes are all bolted even at the more amenable grades. For guidebooks in English then the alpine club guides are as good as you will get failing that the Plaisir topo guides are easy to understand (but most routes are carry trad gear as an optional extra type approach).
Bhealey 22 Jul 2013
In reply to SiWood: cheers for that that's great, shame about the routes but it's still climbing so not too bothered, cheers for the advice. Ben
 Dan Jam 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Bhealey: Just a quick addition. Depending on where you are in Switzerland (I'm in Ticino now) its baking hot right now so you might want to head to a crag at a higher altitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...