UKC

Replacing my 70m sport rope - Sterling nano question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kipper12 22 Jul 2013
I am after some advice on rope replacement.

My 70m sport rope is approaching retirement age, and I am looking at a suitable replacement. I found a recent revoew of some skinny 70 m ropes and the Sterling nano came out well. SO I thought this may be a sensible option.

So far so good, but I looked on a well known yellow bendy fruit website today (cant mention by name apparently) and there was a warning that the nano should not be used for top roping. Now I dont do this a lot but I like to think the rope I bought could be used for top roping too.

Anyone have any thjoughts as to why it shouldnt be used to top rope on, is this the same with all very skinny ropes.

icnoble 22 Jul 2013
In reply to kipper12: I use this rope for sport climbing including top roping of harder routes. With such a thin robe I lower off slowly and with care.
 Ian Parsons 22 Jul 2013
In reply to kipper12:
> and there was a warning that the nano should not be used for top roping.>

The wording on the website reads more like a recommendation not to use the Nano for top roping (and working routes) rather than a warning that you absolutely shouldn't. Skinny ropes being generally not renowned for their durability, it simply sounds like advice not to prematurely trash your lightweight onsighting/redpointing rope by using it for "workhorse" activities for which a heavier/more durable/less stretchy rope would be more appropriate and for which super-lightness is of less importance. If you use the one rope for everything you'll simply find top roping a more booingy experience - if you know what I mean - and you'll need to replace it sooner.

Whatever you do - top roping or whatever - don't follow Mr Noble's example by wearing a thin robe!
OP kipper12 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Whatever you do - top roping or whatever - don't follow Mr Noble's example by wearing a thin robe!

In this warm weather a warm robe may be ok, though belayer may need dark glasses and a strong stomach.
 Ian Parsons 22 Jul 2013
In reply to kipper12:

No - don't go there; it's not a good look!
 Blue Straggler 22 Jul 2013
In reply to kipper12:
> (In reply to Ian Parsons)
>
> Whatever you do - top roping or whatever - don't follow Mr Noble's example by wearing a thin robe!
>
> In this warm weather a warm robe may be ok, though belayer may need dark glasses and a strong stomach.

"I said 'lower me DOWN', not 'lower my GOWN'"
 dr_botnik 22 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler: Wonder how many times he's been on a route and flashed it?
 dr_botnik 22 Jul 2013
... and it can also lead to alot of exposure in the windy hills!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...