UKC

Threading slings directly to wires

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kingjam 23 Jul 2013
Hi

I was told this weekend that threading a sling directly into a wire ( instead of use a crab ) was a bad thing ( i was trying to extend and only had a sling and a crab) . Appreciate that wires are abrasive but wouldn't have through the friction generated from a fall would be enough too sheer the tape especially if the tape is tied tightly with a larks foot .

Only other issue I could see is potentially dislodging they nut as the rope moves up .

Any views ?
In reply to kingjam:

I did that once all the way up the second half of Milky Way on Lundy. A very experienced climber assured me that if I'd fallen off I would have torn straight through every sling. Didn't sound very likely to me, but I'll be interested to see what's said.

jcm
 RomTheBear 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam: As far as I know it is acceptable pratice if abseiling off it, but I wouldn't trust it to hold a hard lead fall.
 3 Names 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Isnt this the reason that camalots dont have an extendable sling?
 GridNorth 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam: It was a common way of using wires back in the 60's when they first came out but back then even a few karabiners weighed a lot and it was not practical to carry too many. Added to that we didn't know any better. I never heard of one being cut by the wire. I wouldn't do it now unless of course I had no alternative. I always work on the principle that something is, 9 times out of 10, better than nothing when it comes to protection.
 lithos 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

if you thread it (basket hitch not larks foot) they are pretty strong.
see the dmm video/page : 9..12kn

I use it if there is a danger of a krab being cross loaded over an edge. Prefer fatter (10/11/12mm) sling to skinny 6mm dyneema , but dmm results (note with new kit) are still promising.

BD dont use a thing extendable sling as a big fall will deform the loop wire
(don't think they broke any) and repeated falls may break it. its on their site somewhere!
 duchessofmalfi 23 Jul 2013
If you lark's foot it there is ~50% strength loss in the sling but it is still pretty strong, if you double the sling I can't see there being any loss. At ~50% a sling typically has 11kN left which is better than lots of gear and over typical leader falls forces.

It can have advantages in fairly obscure situations / placements but generally people don't use it because a double crab end quickdraw is easier, quicker and stronger.

I've generally only used this on belays if I'm running short of gear, I either belay or lead I'd try not to be relying only on one lark's foot. I think if you did it a lot or for perma gear you'd worry about the wire abrading the sling.
 deepsoup 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Dervey:

That's pretty definitive then. Thanks for the link.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to RomTheBear:
> (In reply to kingjam) As far as I know it is acceptable pratice if abseiling off it, but I wouldn't trust it to hold a hard lead fall.

see link above yr post from DMM its actually pretty strong!
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to duchessofmalfi:
> if you double the sling I can't see there being any loss.

did you not bother to follow the DMM link before posting?

GrahamD 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Actually the larks foot is the biggest problem in that set up. A sling just threaded through and both ends of the sling clipped is much better. Someone had a link to some test results a few years back.

If the alternative is a) no gear or b) a krab over an edge its a no brainer. Do it. If you fall badly you might have to bin the sling afterwards.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to GrahamD:
"Someone had a link to some test results a few years back."

does no one actually bother to read threads anymore, I give up....
 martinph78 23 Jul 2013
 GridNorth 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam: I thought that the OP was concerned more about the cheese cutter affect of the wire on the tape rather than whether to use a larks foot or a basket hitch.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
did you read the DMM link? Only that it clearly goes in to detail, the OP is talking about using a larks foot and the wire can cut through that too easily, however a basket hitch is basically strong enough for nearly all real world falls.
 GridNorth 23 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Yes but I just picked up on the first part of the post: "I was told this weekend that threading a sling directly into a wire ( instead of use a crab ) was a bad thing" i.e. I took that to be the primary issue in question but you are quite right to point out the larksfoot problem.

I have never understood why people larksfoot trees I would only do that on a stump if there was a chance of it lifting off. The problem with a larks foot also is that there is a good way and a bad way to orientate it.
 lithos 23 Jul 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
>
> I have never understood why people larksfoot trees I would only do that on a stump if there was a chance of it lifting off. T

better off with a clove hitch on a stump / stake than larksfoot. Stronger and wont lift off
 stonemaster 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo) I'm surprised no one has linked to this yet:
>
> http://dmmclimbing.com/knowledge/improvisation-larks-foot-or-basket-hitch-v...
>
>

Mercy!!.....
 cuppatea 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

There was a thread about this quite recently. The main question was how to avoid a krab bending over an edge.

IIRC the basket hitch was stronger than extending the wire with another wire.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to GridNorth:
larks foot isn't as week as you think, if it avoids 3 way loading a biner I would do it every time, its still good for over a tonne (probably much more around a tree as its likely quite high friction around the trunk)
 stonemaster 23 Jul 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo: Standard practice across the pond, they call it the girth hitch, one believes.
OP kingjam 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Thanks for all the posts , doesn't seem like the sling shearing point has come up that often ( barring overload ) , assume its a red herring .

From the DMM video it looks like its safe practice as long as you understand the reduction in protection and that a larks foot is a worse way to attach the wire than a basket hitch, purely due to the loss in force protection ?
OP kingjam 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Also the DDM test shows a wire being used as a extender , is this purely theoretical or practical ?
 martinph78 23 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:
> (In reply to kingjam)
>
> Also the DDM test shows a wire being used as a extender , is this purely theoretical or practical ?

Done it once, then forgot about it. If it's a sharp edge it's probably a better option than a sling for extending the nut placement.
 CurlyStevo 23 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin1978:
but then a basket hitched sling has a lot of material, you could ofcourse overhand the sling too after basket hitching it and / or double it up (before basket hitching) to increase strength further.
 brices 24 Jul 2013
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

this video may help to explain I guess a larks foot could behave the same as a overhand knot in relation to the test results?

http://blip.tv/a-fuerza-de-plafon/dyneema-and-nylon-drop-tests-4509845
 MJ 24 Jul 2013
In reply to kingjam:

Also the DDM test shows a wire being used as a extender , is this purely theoretical or practical ?

I've larks footed two wires together before so that I could reach a higher placement.
Can't remember how I clipped it though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...