Running forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Bob Graham Round

mbh - on 23 Jul 2013
I have time between 5th and 9th August when I could attempt the Bob Graham Round. Can I do it?

I am not a superstar athlete and have not entered any fell races ever. My lifetime best athletic achievements have been 4th in the school cross country championship, 32 years ago, a (very flat) marathon in 3:44, 29 years ago and a Grizzly in 3:56, 4 years ago. I've also done the Welsh 3000s twice, walking, most recently this May with my wife.

In those few days in early August I could either try to repeat the Welsh 3000s and go for a much faster time, or go for the BGR. How realistic is that as an idea? I'm 50, so 42 peaks at 50 is not up there with Naylor's 70 peaks at 70, but then I haven't done the Welsh 3000s quite as fast as he has, either. However, I have run more in the last year than I ever have before, way more - over 1800 miles now, with weekly totals of distance and ascent climbing all the time. This last week to today, I have done 72 miles, plus 1900 m of ascent. I had thought of waiting until next year, but there is a good chance that I won't then be as fit as I am now. Not necessarily, but what if I don't keep this up?

My feeling is to go for it now, possibly fail and learn from it.

I'd be unsupported, so no shiny certificate for me, but, hey, I've never done clubs.

My chances? Suggestions? Great alternatives?
... not showing 63 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums