UKC

Triglav & Dinara in Slovenia & Croatia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jones_88 24 Jul 2013
Have you walked- NOT climbed up either of these mountains? If so please could you answer my questions.

On the 10th of august I will fly into Munich airport to meet my friend who has a car and from that time onwards we will have 2 weeks to get to Sarajevo or Dubrovnik via a few mountains, bars and beaches for a short loliday.

I'm planning on walking up Triglav and Dinara Slovenia and Croatia's highest mountains which will most probably be tourist traps but that's not the main problem.
I won't have any problem with these mountains but my friend isn't a climber only a walker.
He coped fine be it a bit slow with crib goch and Tryfan in the dark when it was raining as an example of his maximum abilities of scrambling and so on, but any more exposed or harder than that I think he would start to get a bit shaky and I might be pushing him a bit to far.

Is it just a plod all the way to the top (Triglav is my mian concern) or would it be worth me bringing 15m of old rope or something and just tying on round our waists or onto some harnesses to boost his confidence and occasionally wrapping it round spikes and what not pretending we are on some alpine route or just not even doing anything with the rope and having it there just to boost his confidence?
Im pretty sure I don't need gear but don't wanna walk 7/8ths of the way up and have to turn back.
Also can you do it in a day or is it worth bringing a tent/bivy bag? and some extra biscuits?

Any info would be greatly appreciated and other advice or idea's on places or things to do on the trip would be brilliant.

Thanks

Wyn
Removed User 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Jones_88:

Hi, I'm from Slovenia, so I can give you some info about Triglav.
The easiest way to the top is from Rudno Polje via mountain hut "Planika" and then to the top. Not the shortest, though, but the least exposed. I guess the most exposed part is the ridge, but it's well protected with spikes and steel ropes. It's nothing like italian or austrian via ferratas. Although it's doable in a single day, it's recommended to sleep at Planika and go to the top the next morning. That way you avoid summer storms that are quite common in afternoons.

You can find more info here: http://www.hiking-trail.net/mountain/triglav/1/1

P.
altirando 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Removed UserZebdi: You can say that again! I walked up to a viewpoint on the south side of Triglav a few years ago, to check out a route from where it would be just possible to do the route in the day. Clouds started to gather so I wandered back down. By the time I had had a drink at a cafe, the roads were awash and I had difficulty in seeing to drive back!
OP Jones_88 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Jones_88:
Thanks guys.

One more question that might sound a bit ridiculous, would I be able to get away with doing Triglav in my approach shoes as I'm fairly sure footed and not clumsy or heavy on my feet or would boots be the safer and a more sensible idea?
 Zgemba 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Jones_88:
> One more question that might sound a bit ridiculous, would I be able to get away with doing Triglav in my approach shoes as I'm fairly sure footed and not clumsy or heavy on my feet or would boots be the safer and a more sensible idea?

Just watch your step and you will be fine in approach shoes.
pwhiteside 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Jones_88:

Hi mate,

From what I understand talking to people who have been up Dinara is that it will be roasting in August. I have been planning a trip there for a while but I am going to settle on going earlier in the season.

Good luck
 Fat Bumbly2 27 Jul 2013
In reply to altirando: With bells on - got caught up there early morning by an electrical storm - the ridges are wired remember. Nasty.
 Joak 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Fat Bumbly2: Been on the summit of Triglav 3 times without incident, my day of reckoning came on one of my visits to Prisank when shortly after leaving the summit the clouds quickly gathered and all hell broke loose. Scarey.
dylan_the_fox 28 Jul 2013
Triglav is a fine mountain and your friend will find it much more than a plod!

On the other hand, it's no more than an easy scramble on polished limestone (I'd say trainers/approach shoes far preferable to boots) - with lots of walking.

I'd say the best easy route is from the Planika - some nice situations on the way up, and a superfluity of ironmongery (mostly useful if the rock is at all damp, or you need to pass the "larger" person at any point!). Some basic VF gear might help if your friend is a little nervous.

The other "ordinary route" from Kredarici doesn't have such a good start although both routes meet up on Little Triglav.

The Kredarici hut however is well worth a visit - much more atmospheric than the Planika, with toilet facilities to match! It's in a seriously beautiful position. If you descend that way you can easily walk round back to the Planika although there can be old snow patches to cross in the gullies.

I can vouch for the thunderstorm potential : got caught on the narrow ridge between the two summits in a humdinger a few years ago. An interesting experience - literally hair-raising.

Hope you have a great time!
OP Jones_88 03 Aug 2013
In reply to Jones_88:

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Do I need to book any of these huts in advanced ( although they will most probably be fully booked by now) or can we just turn up on the day.

Or failing that camp close by if it's full?
 Joak 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Jones_88:
> (In reply to Jones_88)
>
> Thanks for all of your suggestions!
> Do I need to book any of these huts in advanced ( although they will most probably be fully booked by now) or can we just turn up on the day.
>
> Or failing that camp close by if it's full?

I've just turned up and booked in at the Kredarica (Triglav) hut in July no probs but August a bit busier so best pre-book. Last year I booked a place on Wednesday 15th August in the Kredarica hut which unknown to me at the time is one of the country's big public holidays (Assumption Day). The place was absolutely heaving with guys playing squeeze boxes and folk dancin into the wee small hours. "Consumption Day" would have been more apt. A rerr night was had by all, hic!!
 Rourke 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Joak:

I also just turned up on the day, it was June though and the mountain was nearly empty. I understand July and August are much busier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...