/ One Man Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
EliC - on 24 Jul 2013
Hi,
was just looking for some advice regarding a good but relatively cheap one man tent,looking to spend under 100 as wont be using it a lot, just need it for over night ocassionaly. A nice small, easy to pitch tent would be ideal.
Cheers
martinph78 on 24 Jul 2013
winhill - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to CrimpShrimp:

Tempted by this but I bought the argos ones a couple of years ago.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-soloista-p217173
stonemaster - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to winhill: Aye, fine bit of kit, should have bought 2 when one had the chance.
Welsh Kate - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to stonemaster:
Looks more of a bivvy tent than a proper tent, would you be able to sit up in it, it's only got 64cm of headroom in the inner?

WC Zephyros 1 for 85 from Sports Direct.
stonemaster - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Welsh Kate: Agreed, only bivvy tent. No need to sit up, just to get throught the night. Light and easy to pitch when one needs something more than a tarp or bivvy bag. But then, one is a shorty...
martinph78 on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Welsh Kate: That's really cheap, especially if you price match it with GO, that'll be 76.50!!
RomTheBear - on 24 Jul 2013
WC Zephyros 1 is a good call, but beware this is a light summer tent, won't stand a chance in a storm.
RomTheBear - on 24 Jul 2013
If not get a bivy bag
rj_townsend on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to RomTheBear:
> WC Zephyros 1 is a good call, but beware this is a light summer tent, won't stand a chance in a storm.

I agree that the WC Zephyros 1 is a good call. I bought the slightly larger Zephyros 2 late last year and have been very pleased. I disagree about it being summer-only though - mine stood up to a fair wind/rain pounding in the Lakes earlier this year, and withstood it easily (no leaks, no serious folding-over).

My only comment is that the pegs are crap - I'd suggest replacing with something stronger.
BigBrother - on 24 Jul 2013
Neil Pratt - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to rj_townsend:

Second that about the Zephyros - packet of pegs from Alpkit should sort that out though.
In reply to Neil Pratt:
> (In reply to rj_townsend)
>
> Second that about the Zephyros - packet of pegs from Alpkit should sort that out though.

That was exactly my solution too!
wilkesley - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to RomTheBear:
> WC Zephyros 1 is a good call, but beware this is a light summer tent, won't stand a chance in a storm.

Mine (Zeph 2) stood up OK in 50mph wind. Couldn't sleep because of the flapping, but tent didn't collapse!
captain paranoia - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Welsh Kate:

As you know, the Zephyros 2 has its own little fan club on OM:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/zephyros-owners-thread/46381-24.html

The thread has 100k+ hits for only 470+ posts; must be one of the highest hit:post ratios I can think of.
Welsh Kate - on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:
Yes. If I didn't have a laser comp, I'd look very seriously at the Zephyros.
In reply to Welsh Kate: In a new-found episode of geekiness, I have just discovered that there are now Lite versions of the Zephyros tents as well. 180ish for the larger one, weighing in at 1.15kg.
TobyA on 24 Jul 2013
In reply to winhill: I tried lying in one and found it oppressively small and I'm only just a touch under 5'10". Big fellas need not apply I suspect.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.