UKC

Help me into running!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Malt_Loaf 24 Jul 2013
Hi,

Currently I use road cycling as my mainstay "keep generally fit" method; I ride a lot and enjoy it and thus have attained a good base fitness for climbing and mountaineering. Soon I'll be moving to the city for 39 weeks a year; I wont have my bike with me due to logistical stresses so I'm looking at getting into running for keeping generally fit.

I have around two months before I go so I want to start now and not be completely new when I get there.

Can someone recommend a good four week plan for a generally fit beginner- I'm thinking mileages/days a week/heart rate targets/times etc

Thanks.
ML.
 lost1977 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

personally i would just get out there and see how you get on and then look to initially be looking at 3 runs a week 30-45 mins at a casual pace (able to hold a conversation whilst running)
 JamButty 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf: Lots of walk/run strategies to get you going. look up couch to 5k plans and they'll get you started.
 steelbru 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
Id say that "Couch to 5k" plans are for those who are new to exercise. If you are already pretty fit through cycling you may find these too simple.

Depends what you mean by "I ride a lot" - at the extremes that could mean for different people either a 3 mile commute each way to work 3 times a week, or a member of a local cycling club doing 200+ miles a week ?
OP Malt_Loaf 24 Jul 2013
In reply to steelbru: Thanks for the responses thus far; I think perhaps the couch to 5k could be a little basic- I can run 5k pretty happily now.

steelbru: It varies, but usually c.150 miles a week minimum..

ML.
 Dom Whillans 24 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:
google "park run" - friendly and fun. i'm an antisocial c u n t so i never bothered, but just set myself to running, but have heard great things about them.
 Banned User 77 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf: You must have a good CV system...]

Start slowly still as you'll be liable to stress fractures.. good CV yet weaker bones.. bones build through compression, cycling is a lot of tension so not as good for bone strength.

Ignore heart rate unless you know what hard is already. I'd just run more, look at Park run, do one now and see what shape you are in.

If in the city join a club for running partners, makes running so much easier.
 mattrm 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

There are plenty of couch to 10k plans out there.

Also can recommend joining a running club. But as others have mentioned, take it easy, it's not hard to get injuries.
Bob kate bob 25 Jul 2013
In reply to mattrm: yep c to 10k, 5k to 10k, if OP finds it too easy then there are 10k to 21k.

As well there are ones called 5k forever and 10k forever which help with pace.

If the OP gets bored of running they could try Zombies, Run!
 Neil Williams 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

Get a Brompton? Get a second hand bike and leave it there?

Not a reason not to run, but I'd be lost without my bike to get around on.

Neil
OP Malt_Loaf 25 Jul 2013
In reply to Malt_Loaf: Thanks for all the comments:

I do have a good CV system; however, as Iain points out: running probably points other stresses on the body that cycling wouldn't, so I still need to ease into it. I think one of the coach to 10k programs might work well. So it seems like it's just a matter of getting out and getting stuck in, slowly does it. One thing:

If I follow a program and happen to be struggling to run a whole 8k route say; is it better to run the 6k and then stop or push through the last 2k running/walking intervals until eventually I can run it all?

To answer some other points: I may join a club in Edinburgh once I move permanently; I'm sure there's plenty of running clubs.

Neil: I will have a bike for whizzing about the city; however, I wont have the funds to buy a good enough road bike for 50-100mile rides and I can't take my current bike with me. I'll back here for a couple of months a year so I can get out riding then..

Thanks,
ML.
In reply to Malt_Loaf:

If your moving to Edinburgh try and stay somewhere within a couple of km of Holyrood Park so you can run there easily. There's a good loop round the park on pavement with about 100m height gain or you can go into the middle and run on grass and rock on the hills. It's surprisingly easy to get away from the tourists by choosing side paths with little scrambly bits.
OP Malt_Loaf 25 Jul 2013
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh: Thanks, Tom- that sounds perfect.

Not sure where I'll be; the University will offer me a place so I'll not have a vast amount of choice in the subject.

Hopefully I wont be too far away..

ML.
In reply to Malt_Loaf: Lovely city for running.. HBT may be a good bet.. very sociable club but also have a few decent runners.. as in very decent..
OP Malt_Loaf 25 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Any idea what the HBT feel is like? Cycling clubs tend to differ, some are great and happy to take weaker riders and we generally look after them; other clubs tend to not be interested and look down on people- I imagine it's the same in running clubs?

I hope to be pushing to 10k before getting to Edinburgh(doable in two months?)

Thanks,
ML.

In reply to Malt_Loaf: Very very social.. I know a few runners and they came to Wales for a trip. Seem a great group, all standards from elite to drinkers.. seem a great club. Not the most pretty vest...

They have a guy who has done the 3 tons.. run 100 miles.. in 100 hours.. and drink 100 pints...
OP Malt_Loaf 25 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Ah, sounds excellent! I'll be sure to get in touch with the club once I'm down there...

Ouch! Not sure I Could manage 100 pints in 100 hours, let alone run 100miles too!

ML.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...