UKC

Zermatt 4000's in early-mid September - Typical conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 willbris3 24 Jul 2013
Hi Guys,

I am considering a trip out to Zermatt in early to mid september to have a go at the Matterhorn, Lyskamm, Dufourspitze and others (in summer conditions).
I realise that this time of year can be pretty transitional and unpredictable with the Foehn wind, but have any of you that have been out there at this time have any advice? What kind of conditions did you encounter etc?

Cheers
 David Rose 24 Jul 2013
In reply to willbris3: It can be great: settled, still-warm weather. Ot it can be dreadful: snow and storms. It's just a matter of luck, and at this stage, it's impossible to predict. In general, early September is often better than later.
 jon 25 Jul 2013
 MG 25 Jul 2013
In reply to jon:
Normally these will clear and we'll have fine weather/Indian summer well into October/November.

Have you ever climbed (mountains) this late in the year? Quite an appealing thought.
 jon 25 Jul 2013
In reply to MG:

Occasionally into October, but I've normally had enough of mountains by then! Certainly no reason not to... well apart from lifts and huts being closed. I did take a fabulous scenic (birthday) flight around all the glaciers in the massif at the end of September two years ago - there was simply no-one around!
 David Rose 25 Jul 2013
In reply to willbris3: September snow can be very slow to clear. I remember trying an ascent of a big rock ridge in the Ecrins after a fall of snow late in the month. The weather was gorgeous, but we gave up after finding we were wading through waste deep powder on what should have been easy (c. III-IV) slabby rock. In general higher north facing rock routes will not clear at all after snow this late, at least not enough to be doable as rock climbs.
OP willbris3 25 Jul 2013
In reply to willbris3: thats great thanks guys. Really looking forward to it!
MaxWilliam 25 Jul 2013
In reply to willbris3:

I would not worry - for the easy 4000s in Saas and Zermatt I've gone at the end of September and first two weeks of October with no problems.

It should still be very warm, snow showers possible (as will be all year round) but I found it perfect time of year to go... (recommend checking the lift schedules before you decide - occasionally maintenance happens this sort of time).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...