UKC

Best way of carrying bouldering mats on a roof rack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Smithy_P 27 Jul 2013
Hi, I am heading to font in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best way to secure bouldering mats to a roof rack? As I need the space in the car for people and kit etc. was thinking about using a lot of gaffa tape but unsure how secure this would be driving in a motorway? Any suggestions welcome
 SteveoS 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Smithy_P:
Ratchet straps? Through the middle of the pad with 'bent' side facing forward.

FYI we only needed 1 for the non skull marked blue/red circuits if you're interested in space saving.
 Run_Ross_Run 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Smithy_P:
No more nails is pretty strong stuff. Dont need one of guns these days to apply it either.
 Oceanrower 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Smithy_P: Take the foam out and then the covers fold up really small.

Just don't forget to put the foam back in when you get to Font.
 mark catcher 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Smithy_P: Ratchet/kayak type straps work a treat. We managed a steady 70mph across the Vegas desert with a Moon Warrior on the roof!
 KingStapo 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Oceanrower:

Where does the foam go during the journey?
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Jul 2013
In reply to KingStapo:
Do you really need to ask?
 KingStapo 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:
> (In reply to KingStapo)
> Do you really need to ask?

Yes.
 Sandy Moore 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Smithy_P:

You can get surfboard straps pretty cheap. They're basically mini ratchet straps and should do the job provided your now bombing it around!
 Durbs 01 Aug 2013
Definitely not gafa tape!

It's designed to be easy to rip - not what you want holding your mat to the roof on a motorway...

Ratchet-straps (take 2 slacklines!) are best. Bungy straps, not so much.

Also, say goodbye to fuel efficiency.
Might be easier to strap passengers to the roof.
 Max Hangs 01 Aug 2013
In reply to KingStapo: Presumably the foam goes back in the covers since they're just the right shape to hold them!

In all seriousness, I can see no benefit in removing the foam at all. You've still got a large block to pack; you've just created an extra item to pack somewhere.
 climber david 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Smithy_P:

I would suggest cam straps, what kayakers use to strap kayaks on the roof. Ratchet straps can (beleive it or not) go too tight and damage things. Plus cam straps are generally cheaper

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...