UKC

scientist crossed with guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
roamer1 27 Jul 2013
I have recently finished my masters in physics, and have always been very interested in trying to go into the world of expeditions, always have loved exploring and been on a few great expeditions. Ive been looking for a job that would combine the two, but so far have only found things one end or the other, are there even jobs which are in the middle? if so does anyone have any ideas what fields or where to begin looking? thanks
 spearing05 27 Jul 2013
In reply to roamer1: British antartic survey?
 martinph78 27 Jul 2013
In reply to spearing05: Was just going to suggest that myself.

Or plan your own expedition if you can raise funds/convince your University to support it (don't know how this works so might be way off the mark)?
roamer1 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin1978: ive looked at the BAS, but its very either academic,in an office, or a guide it seems
 sarahjk 27 Jul 2013
In reply to roamer1:

My friend goes on some fabulous trips with a company called Lindblad [or something spelt a bit like that] She is American, so guessing they are too, sounds like a perfect match tho.

Good luck.
 sbc_10 27 Jul 2013
In reply to roamer1:
> (In reply to Martin1978) ive looked at the BAS, but its very either academic,in an office....

Well, yes if you work at Cambridge, but if you get a posting on base then you have a lot of 'outdoors', just outdoors... travel regs permitting..of course <cough,cough>.

> or a guide

They use to call them GA's in my time (Polar Guides now) and it stood for General Assistant. Which meant you helped out with lots of stuff. See if the job still exists in some form or other and help out with any scientific experiments, do trip preparation for the coming season, dig snow and paint. It's hard work, but just consider where you are.

Top tip.... careful of a posting to Halley, its a bit flat around base.

SBC.
 Doug 27 Jul 2013
In reply to roamer1: I've meet some French scientists who work on glaciers (physics backgrounds) & based in Grenoble but field work in the Alpes - not expeditions but close

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...