UKC

Protein Shakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Carter 27 Jul 2013
Apparently protein shakes are a good thing. So after a hard ride I should drink one and it'll make me recover quicker. I had a look online at the Maximuscle website and to be honest I was baffled by the choices. Cyclone, Promax, Promax Extreme, Promax Lean, etc. Then I heard that MyProtein is a good website because it's cheaper. But I can't decide what I need from their either :-P Aside from the protein there seems to be a huge range of different additives.

Does anyone use these type of drinks and can recommend one. I have quite a low body fat percentage and would rather keep it that way if possible. Will I notice a difference if I start using these?
 Dom Whillans 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Carter:
didn't it turn out that chocolate yazoo was at least as good as any over-priced protein shake? or did i imagine it...
In reply to Dom Whillans:

Don't know! From googling it seems like more bodybuilders use cyclone, so then I guess Promax would be more suitable for someone lean/not muscley like me?
 Boogs 27 Jul 2013

I use these before , during & after climbing quite often ; http://www.goodhempnutrition.com/14-good-protein-active-range

they definitely help with recovery , have also helped me put on weight ( muscle ) too .

use the code GOODSUN13 for 20% off . I'm convinced it will help you with recovery . You can make good cakes & healthy snack bars from it too if you use your imagination & other ingredients .
 martinph78 27 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: You may find this thread interesting

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=546305&v=1#x7309895
 riddle 27 Jul 2013

If you want to keep your bf down read the ingredients list for the amount of carbs, often used to bulk out the protein powders.

We use Nutrisport Whey Protein Isolate (4 grams of carbs per 100g, net). Discount Supplements is a pretty good price.

Have also purchased from Bulk Powders.

If you get bored with just drinking shakes blend a scoop with a couple of eggs and you have a pancake!
 kevin stephens 27 Jul 2013
I'm wary of anything targeted at body buildsers. I prefer something from a cycling specific company; SIS Rego hits the spot for me after I trash my legs
 lost1977 27 Jul 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:

ROFPML £48 for 1.2 kg you have actually seen the ingreients
 kevin stephens 27 Jul 2013
In reply to lost1977: well I'm glad you are entertained, mine cost me a lot less that that, and it lasts a long time because I only drink it after a really hard ride or turbo session when I need to get food in a lot quicker than it takes to rustle up a plate of tuna pasta
 Womble 28 Jul 2013

Everyone responds differently to a change in protein/carbs diet. Lots of people reccomend a high protein and low carbs as a way of losing weight for example. I actually find this doesn't seem to work for me (don't know why). I went through a phase of using protein but actually decided that I prefered eating the food to get my fll rather than just drinking über sweet shakes. I love cottage cheese and for 40p a pop from lidl you surely can't beat that for an après workout snack?!
 riddle 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Womble:

The high protein low carb diet MIGHT not have worked for you in past due a lack of natural fats.
If you were taking protein powders (depending on the brand) MAY have contained high levels of sugars!

There is some good (if expensive) and some free advice at athlete.io. John Meadows at Mountain Dog provides some good advice. John is a body builder and whilst his goals may be different to yours the principles are worth reading.
 Morty 28 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Richard Carter)
> I'm wary of anything targeted at body buildsers. I prefer something from a cycling specific company; SIS Rego hits the spot for me after I trash my legs

Seconded. The strawberry flavoured one is one of the few supplements that I can actually drink without gagging.
 riddle 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Morty:

It contains two sources of Soy, that alone would put me off.

Fructose is absorbed in the small intestine and directed towards the liver. For recovery Fructose may not be so useful.

How about Nutrisport 90+ Protein? No soy protein (it does contain soy lecithin). If you need the extra sugar to recover, consider dextrose from Bulk Powders (£3.15/kg).

Chocolate is the favourite flavour, personally I go for Vanilla. I use the protein powder to make pancakes, banana bread, mixed with Greek yoghurt.... time to have breakfast.
 Escher 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: A low fat milk shake is supposed to be just as good expensive protein supplements. After a long ride I have a pint of skimmed milk with horlicks, ovaltine or nesquik within 20 minutes of finishing. It has the same ratio of protein to carbs as marketed recovery drinks, does all the same things and tastes lovely. Quickly replenishes glycogen stores and begins the recovery process. Protein supplements don't do anything extra or better other than empty your wallet.
 nw 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Escher: You are confusing 'expensive protein supplements' with 'marketed recovery drinks'. They are different things. Milk is a great recovery drink I would agree, but its nutritional profile is nothing like that of e.g Nutrisport 90.It all depends what you want, and if you do require large amounts of protein, shakes can actually be one of the cheapest sources around.
 Toby_W 28 Jul 2013

Chocolate milk

Or

Beer.

I volunteered for a study at Bath uni while I was there, free tests vo2max 70 & hct 48, I love having good genes. I was horrified by how much I had to drink to recover correctly and therefore how far short I was falling normally. I'm still to lazy to make the effort to recover properly but I only do this for fun.

Cheers

Toby
 Milesy 28 Jul 2013
In reply to kevin stephens:
> (In reply to Richard Carter)
> I'm wary of anything targeted at body buildsers. I prefer something from a cycling specific company; SIS Rego hits the spot for me after I trash my legs

And why is that you are wary? Protein shakes are only whey. It is the by product of curdling milk, where the curds are taken away to make cheese.

People have a misconception that protein shakes are some sort of steroid super enhancing drug or something! It is just milk proteins.

I drink protein shakes because it is a cheap, quick way to get calories into me when I have a really busy week with work, my daughter, climbing, the gym, running etc. It is hard to find the time to make proper meals all the time, and particularly during the working day. I can mix a whey protein mix with whole milk and get quick and cheap protein, carbs and fats.
 Milesy 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Escher:
> (In reply to Richard Carter) A low fat milk shake is supposed to be just as good expensive protein supplements.

Whole milk is the best milk for you. The fats in milk are perfect for the production your body's natural testosterone which is used for natural muscle growth and recovery. Whole milk exactly as is is the perfect ratio for growth. That is why it is the way it is.
In reply to Milesy:
> (In reply to Escher)
> [...]
>
> That is why it is the way it is.

If you are a calf
 Lamb 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Richard Carter: I use the MyProtein site, it is good quality stuff at a fraction of the price you will pay for Maximuscle. I use their Impact Whey Protein, as Milesy mentioned, it is not a scary steroid enhancement, it is just whey protein. It is the natural product your muscles require to repair themselves and develop. All athletes require 'extra' protein from the normal person. I weigh 77kg and I am 6ft 3 and aim to take in about 100g a day, to give you an idea. MyProtein also do bags of fine milled Scots oats, which are ideal for just throwing into smoothies or milk shakes for extra energy all through the day. If it is cycling specific, then SIS do a good carb recovery with protein in it as well which is also very good.
 Milesy 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Escher:
> Protein supplements don't do anything extra or better other than empty your wallet.

This is only true if you buy into expensive brands like Maximuscle who sell an image as much as a product.

Myprotein basic whey is one of the cheapest ways to get calories into me.

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

That is 40 servings of 25g of protein at approx 30p each. Each serving is the same as the protein in 1 chicken breast. I can't buy chicken breasts for 30p each can you?
 nw 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Milesy:
Exactly. It compares well with chicken, beef etc, especially if you don't like buying the cheapest meat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...