UKC

Protein shakes . . .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rufus stone 27 Jul 2013
I'm loathed to buy into the baffling amount of protein powders out there and the novelty of cracking raw eggs into post session milkshakes is often hard to stomach. Any suggestions on a healthy, natural alternative? It's getting harder i.e. more expensive to consume foods that haven't been subject to industrial process. Purplemonkeyelephant suggests pea protein - not come across that one, kind of ingredient you don't want to get lost in translation.
 xplorer 27 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

I really don't believe that you need them, also g as you have a healthy balanced diet, you should be ok.

I tend to have one if I miss an intake of protein with a meal.

Don't eat raw eggs, they do nothing but give you salmonella, you digest very little protein from raw eggs anyway!
rufus stone 27 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

Salmonella is indeed very unpleasant, will probably skip the chicken embryos from now on.
 riddle 27 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

We get through about 5 kilos of protein powder every 3-4 months. I spend a lot of time on the road; it is a cheap easy method of snacking.

It also provides a tasty pre, peri and post work out drink to help prevent catabolism.

I have also been using the powder to replace flour in a few recipes... death to gluten.
ice.solo 27 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

tin of tuna.

all the protein plus lots of other things that will do more for recovery and general health than any powder can.

if you can find it, asian stores stock roast soy bean powder (ki-na-ko) at about 1/10th the price of sport stuff. its about 60% protein.

this pea protein sounds interesting.
 Lukem6 28 Jul 2013
In reply to xplorer:
> (In reply to rufus stone)

> Don't eat raw eggs, they do nothing but give you salmonella, you digest very little protein from raw eggs anyway!

oh such a misunderstood topic, British Eggs treated will not give you salmonella. Poor Edwina Currie. tut tut.

I've been serving up egg white in cocktails for nearly a decade and not had any trouble but then we do make sure our eggs are stamped with that Lion.

for more help see

http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Food-Safety/British-Lion-scheme-helps-erad...

its all to do with radiation etc. just dont buy eggs unless they are stamped, which all supermarket eggs should be.

Lukem6 28 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone: lots of meat is your other option. maybe beef jerky. salty but high in protein. In short however how much protein you need depends on why your taking it. It's true it can assist in muscle protein synthesis during exercise and help recovery afterwards. there is a lot of controversy heading into the next piece of info.
But minimum seems to be
for rest 0.45grams of protein per kg of body weight per day
for exercise days 0.8g per kg per day
for building 1g per kg per day
for loading phase of exercise 1.5+g per kg per day

More importantly is what and how you consume this while a shake is good it isn't balanced and most of what you consume will just exit out the back, unless you are combining with more than just a simple powder shake.

for maximum recovery you should try eating small amounts 6 times a day no more than 3 hours apart, keeping you metabolic rate high, meaning you absorb a higher portion of what you eat and burn more calories in the process.

Now there is more confusing and conflicting studies on how much your body can digest in one 3 hour period. Any where from 30grams to as much as you want. But I'd watch out for lots of flatulence and not much digestive motion if you start hitting over 20g but each to their own.

Your best bet is to not get bogged down. Just eat healthy, eat more regular and involve a little dairy/meat in to you diet every meal.
In reply to rufus stone: I use whey protein. Bought as pure whey off that auction website. Cheap, versatile and easy to digest.
 Banned User 77 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
> (In reply to xplorer)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> oh such a misunderstood topic, British Eggs treated will not give you salmonella. Poor Edwina Currie. tut tut.
>
> I've been serving up egg white in cocktails for nearly a decade and not had any trouble but then we do make sure our eggs are stamped with that Lion.
>
> for more help see
>
> http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Food-Safety/British-Lion-scheme-helps-erad...
>
> its all to do with radiation etc. just dont buy eggs unless they are stamped, which all supermarket eggs should be.

Eh? A proper free range egg from some small farm will be fine....

I eat raw eggs all the time.. get raw fresh mince.. a few raw eggs.. red onion raw... some pepper and salt.. eat away.. best meal ever.

OP: just a chocolate drink...
 xplorer 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

In reply to Lukem6:

Trust me, you digest a very little amount of protein from uncooked eggs. It's not worth eating raw.

Have a quick search online and you will find quite a few different sites advising not to eat raw eggs. It really is an urban myth.

I was advised by an Olympic dietician.
 riddle 28 Jul 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert

An enlightening link for a few reasons not to consume soy products.
 Lukem6 28 Jul 2013
In reply to xplorer: the chance of catching salmonella from raw lion stamped eggs(radiated to kill bacteria) , is as low as the chance of catching aids from climbing grit. The amount of cakes that use raw eggs and or raw cookie dough and so on and so on.
We'd be back in the 80's with an epidemic by now if the risk was even marginal.
Majority of salmonella poising comes from external contamination (poo on the outer egg shell), internal poisoning of the egg is extremely rare (UK cases 0.4% and US 0.6%) so if you are concerned wash the egg with Demostos. Statistically you actually have a higher risk of catching the disease from uncooked meet, particularly when eating a minced product that contains meet from different sources.

I've worked in kitchens and have a huge document on food related diseases etc, supplied by Food Standards Agency.

Quiddity 28 Jul 2013
In reply to riddle:

> http://www.westonaprice.org/soy-alert
>
> An enlightening link for a few reasons not to consume soy products.

FYI The objectivity of that source is questionable. The Weston A Price foundation are well known for their anti-soy agenda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weston_A._Price_Foundation#Criticisms_and_resp...

rufus stone 28 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

OK so there are clearly better alternatives to the 'Rocky' milkshake but part of what got me started on this was a more general wondering about the journey my food has taken to arrive on my plate. On the face of it I try to eat healthily and have been blessed with skinny genes, this doesn't however necessarily mean that my food has enjoyed a good life free from pesticides, hormones and other such undesirable additives. I'm not about to become an obsessive organic only consumer but a balance should be achievable. Where does one draw the line?
 Shani 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:
> for maximum recovery you should try eating small amounts 6 times a day no more than 3 hours apart, keeping you metabolic rate high, meaning you absorb a higher portion of what you eat and burn more calories in the process.

This is quite a specific claim. Have you got a reference for it?

riddle 28 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

Grass fed meat is way forward. Try Paleo Wales or Athleat for quality meats.

Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas is an interesting book if you are looking for a line to draw.
 riddle 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Quiddity:

And long may they continue.
 Lukem6 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Shani: lots of material sitting in my Library.

I recommend The Abs Diet by David Zinczenko
or speak to Matt Fitzgerald or read his book Racing weight.

6 small meals instead of 3 meals the last being the largest has generally being common practice amongst Health and fitness peeps for years.

But you have to understand what they mean by meal also. a "meal" can simply mean a yoghurt some fruit and some nuts, or it could mean a eggs and bacon on toast.... to a pasta dish.

Its about not gorging on more food than your body can process in one sitting, then getting a sugar low between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner. So instead of reaching for a packet of crisps you have already have a healthy option keeping you fuller and providing a steady blood sugar level all day, add the right supper to assist sleep and a decent wake up.

There is a myth that eating like this speeds up your metabolism which isn't true but it does stop it dropping and help against insulin spikes. which result in that post Sunday lunch tiredness.

There is currently an ongoing study that they believe is showing that eating six meals a day keeps low levels of insulin in the system helping make your body more resistant to diabetes.

For more Info seek out Matt Kelly PT a Manchester Personal Trainer and friend who will happily help you get trim/big or whatever your goal might be. Its his job but only an interest for me so I'm sure he'd happily debate these topics to death and then convince you to pay him money.
 KingStapo 29 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone:

Is it really true that your body just dumps the protein it doesn't need? From an evolutionary point of view this doesn't seem like the kind of strategy that would facilitate progress to the 'top of the food chain'.

Are there any proper scientific studies of this, by actual biologists, not diet experts and 'sports scientists'?

The article below makes sense to me, but i'm only a theoretical Physicist/engineer.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-p...
 turtlespit 29 Jul 2013
In reply to rufus stone: I have a climbing partner who simply eats boiled eggs throughout the (outside) climbing day. Probably one of the cheapest approaches.

Pea protein - seems to be beneficial mainly to vegetarians/vegans or those with gluten or lactose issues. Seemed to be an unknown in some UK shops last year, but I've seen it on Amazon now.
 Gasmerchant 29 Jul 2013
I tend to blend a banana with half a pint of milk and some hot chocolate powder after a hard training session. Seems to work for me. More of a "recovery" shake than a protein one. I'm very skeptical about supplement shakes anyway. You get most of what you need from a normal diet, unless you're a pro athlete.
 Durbs 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Gasmerchant:

Word - skimmed milk & nesquik is an amazing recovery drink.
And sooooooo much cheaper than protein shakes.

Tends to do very well in comparison tests
 StefanB 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Lukem6:

> or speak to Matt Fitzgerald or read his book Racing weight.
>
> 6 small meals instead of 3 meals the last being the largest has generally being common practice amongst Health and fitness peeps for years.
>

Actually, I have just read the second edition of racing weight, after reading the first edition a couple of years ago. This particular bit of advice he has bow changed. He says there is no evidence that supports distributing your energy intake in more than 3 meals a day.
 StefanB 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Durbs:

> Word - skimmed milk & nesquik is an amazing recovery drink.
> And sooooooo much cheaper than protein shakes.
>

Or even full fat milk. Also add some red fruit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...