UKC

How's your year going?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tall Clare 28 Jul 2013
Hello all,

A Sunday evening musing - we're just over halfway through the year, and I was wondering how your year is panning out? If you set goals for the year/new year's resolutions, how are they working out?
 nastyned 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Start a new job tomorrow, so that's the main goal sorted, and hopefully it will make it easier for the less goals to fall into place.
 Chris the Tall 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
It's going well. Of all the people I've murdered none of the bodies have been found
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I don't really think about it; I just get on with it. Also, if I had thought about it, and wrote about it, would anyone give a shit?
andymac 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

too quickly.

my objectives away from work will probably not happen. again.

theres always next year.

OP Tall Clare 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:

It's okay not to respond, you know? It's just a conversation. Nobody's marking anyone on their response.
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I just find it alien for people to be marking their lives against a progress chart. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I don't do it.

I do notice how there is very little interaction between people on these type of threads; it's usually just people talking about themselves. I bet if I had responded by giving an opinion on how my year was going, you wouldn't have replied.
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2013
In reply to andymac: 4/10 must try harder
 andy 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: how's your year going, Clare?
 Andrew Wilson 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Possibly the best ice on the Ben for 30 years (I'm told), amazing late season ice in the lakes with clear blue skies, and a 3 week dry spell so far. What's not to like! Long may it continue.
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

I do wonder whether this is going to be one of those years that people look back on with a rosy glow at getting the routes they wanted to get done, done. I'm not climbing at the moment but was in the lakes yesterday feeling the strongest climbing urges I've felt in a long time. Mind you, by this morning, with the crags soaking, I wasn't so sure...
andymac 28 Jul 2013

I think I deserve a 7.

I`m working hard .my objective is to find time for some quality r&r .

not easy if you are self employed.
In reply to nastyned:

Crappy work situations do have a way of draining the rest of life.
In reply to andymac:
>
> I`m working hard .my objective is to find time for some quality r&r .
>
> not easy if you are self employed.

I know that feeling - I'm feeling a bit 'be careful what you wish for' about it all at the moment.

Yanis Nayu 28 Jul 2013
In reply to andymac:
> (In reply to Submit to Gravity)
>
> I think I deserve a 7.
>
> I`m working hard .my objective is to find time for some quality r&r .
>
> not easy if you are self employed.

Have a 7! Many people I speak to who are self-employed say it's either feast or famine. Good luck with it)
 freerangecat 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

as previously grumbled about, my year is panning out pretty awfully. I don't think I can say anything positive about the last 7 months at all. still plodding on though.
In reply to andy:

Mine's okay, thank you - the usual mix of setbacks and leaps forward that make up a year. Had a bit of a jolt a few weeks ago with some lousy health news for a family member but it's turning out (surprisingly) to be an opportunity rather than anything worse.
andymac 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I love self employment ,but it always keeps you on your toes.

have learnt never to get too complacent when things are really good.

don't think its a bad way of thinking ,but its not overly positive either.
 Ciderslider 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Just got back from raping two of grits finest classics (right and left unconquerable) and whilst I feel bad about dogging both I am very happy that I came very close to getting both clean on lead - and I never thought that with only a couple of trad days this year I would be ready to attempt my first E1 lead - very happy.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

My year started off quite well until I went on sick leave on 27 January. Since then I have bounced around the house and haunted these hallowed forums to pass away the bordom.

It wasn't till early May that I was strong enough to start driving anywhere which allowed me to go on a little camping trip with friends. I was still weak as a kitten.

I'm still bored sh1tless and really want to go back to work.

Sadly I have written off climbing for the whole of this year, just in case my head falls off my neck. I still have spinal surgery to look forward to a few years down the road. I am now getting stronger and may take trips out to watch friends climb.

So far this year is a little slow, but I am knocking off a few good PC games.

My mission is to go back to my current job which I love, but that dream seems to move further and further away. I never appreciated how physically demanding my job was until I became so weak that I could not pick up a kettle of water.

I am a victim of red-tape and just have to bide my time.

On the plus side, its cracking weather.
 Jon Stewart 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Andrew Wilson:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
> amazing late season ice in the lakes with clear blue skies

I wasn't so keen on the arctic winter in place of spring, with the howling icy gales I braced on occasionally leaving the house to obtain basic supplies. But I was right about predicting a hot summer on the back of it (previous recent washouts had been preceded by an unreasonably hot spell in March).

Have got a few routes done I've wanted to do for years, notably Mask of the Red Death and Fastburn. Really explored the Lakes, going up twice a week and doing some great routes (it's *so* much better than grit or lime up there). Plenty more of that to come.

Other things I probably don't want to discuss on here...but they range from 'very well thanks' to 'no progress, or even regression', with 'tits up, but potentially a blessing in disguise' along the way.

In reply to The Lemming:

A friend's partner has just started down the same career path - hearing about the physical troubles you and CaralynH have had makes me hope he can somehow avoid them, but it seems gloomily inevitable.
 Run_Ross_Run 28 Jul 2013
On the balance of things probably one of the best of my life (just behind the wedding year and on a par with last year but if it carries on at this rate then it'll eclipse last year).

The funny thing is that ill probably achieve only 1 out of the 5 objectives I put down in the New Years Resolution post you did at the end of last year.

The other pluses this year have been adhoc, and all the better for it I suppose.
 The New NickB 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Generally pretty good. Personal relationships gets a 10/10, started a new relationship late last year and is going from strength to strength. Work maybe 7/10 better than last year and some good stuff starting to happen. Sport wise 5/10, really good first few months of the year never been stronger / fitter, but had about 3 months of injury problems, not on the long journey back to fitness.
 freerangecat 28 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

<waves at fellow frustrated 'ill' person>
I can now plod to the end of the road and back (slow and unsteady, but forward progress nonetheless) without feeling too light headed and read for 20 minutes today without feeling too dizzy, but doubt I'll be back to work for a while yet. progress is good though, the internet has many Bad things to say about CFS/ME...
 MG 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Pretty good so far. Lots of good changes, and more to come.
 lost1977 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

first part of the year was a total nightmare, trying to come to terms with the fact that i had lived for 36 years without being aware of my hearing loss and then being plunged in to amazing but incredably noisy world with hearing aids (head just went in to freefall). following on from this was a messed up time on anti depressants which although they helped they also sent me totally loopy. ditched the meds 2 weeks ago and holding up well and positive for continued progress
 The New NickB 28 Jul 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

Now on the long journey back to fitness!
In reply to The New NickB:

I did think your first post sounded a bit odd
ice.solo 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

F*cking nuts. I thought this year would just be a steady upgrade on the last, but no way.

Im making a serious effort to put quality over quantity, as tempting as quantity is. Dont want next year to hit a wall bigger than i can deal with.

A few big ticks plus some upsets too. Have lost 3 friends in a month. But surrounded by babies too.
 Caralynh 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Hello
Well, my year isn't bad. Mixed successes with a supposed new routing trip to the Andes last month: no definite new summits but a couple of first recordeds and 4 5000+m summits in total. Plus a first attempt at a huge unclimbed ridge that we had to abandon when it started falling down faster than we could climb it.
Most importantly on the climbing front, weather, time off work, and Jez getting his climbing mojo back have all coincided so I have finally got back leading more than the odd severe at last. Weather is definitely the biggest factor: the summer I led most and hardest routes was 2006 which they say was the last hot dry one.
Injuries, well, my back is fookled and my knees now crunch, but codeine is a wonderful drug and I wont let dodgy discs and early onset arthritis slow me down until I can't walk!
Work is a nightmare as always, especially since I can't decide whether, as of November, to keep a rota I love in an area I hate, or move to a lovely area for work with a vile rota. Probably the former but we'll see. I'm luckier than the Lemming, but then again I refuse all work Occupational Health involvement since if they had their way, I'd probably never work again!
All in all, a nice year, a lovely summer, and our first wedding anniversary coming up (to be spent on Anglesey, fingers crossed for the weather!!)
In reply to lost1977:

I can't imagine what that must be like - I was reading today about new developments in sorting out blindness for people with damaged retinas, which must be similarly overwhelming.
In reply to Caralynh:

All the best people have crunchy knees...

I take it work is still better than what you were doing before?
 Skyfall 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

After reading Submit's posts am not sure how to reply!

Climbing wise - a real mix. Torn shoulder tendon late last year caused real problems but a lot of Physio exercises has helped to the point I'm climbing ok and have put off thoughts of an operation. Which is good! Unfortunately due to that and a torn abdominal earlier last year I've found it hard to get my head around trad. But I finally seem to have got my spirit of adventure back and am enjoying.

Had my best year so far work wise (own growing business). But a lot of stresses.

At Xmas I also decided to look for my natural mother and met her two weeks or so ago for first time in 48 years. Spent a rather nice weekend just gone climbing and visiting. I'm learning almost as much about myself as my 'new' family.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

We are worked to death. Very few of those who work on the road ever make it to retirement. They either die or are medically retired. Shift work is also considered to shorten your life.

The job is getting more and more physically demanding in all areas but I love the job, and it does beat working for a living.

Like all jobs, there are ups and downs with an awful lot of mundane periods in between. It is nothing like the TV dramas. Its far more interesting. How many jobs do you know where you can 'cry on the inside' one moment and burst out laughing, in a respectful way over something completely different, half an hour later?
In reply to Tall Clare: This year's gone slowly. Not had a holiday yet, saving my leave for a 2 month break in the UK come October /November. All the highlights, (meeting Lisa Gerrard, seeing an Arvo Part symphony at Syd Opera house, the cricket,) all happened at the beginning of the year, it's been a slog since then.

Ah well, less than 2 months to go.
In reply to stroppygob:

Having no holiday for long periods does suck - I've found this in the last few months, because even though I work for myself, I've been sufficiently busy that I've had approximately four proper days off since new year. Are you not coming back just in time for mingy weather?
In reply to Skyfall:

The thread's turning out as I thought/hoped it would - a conversation rather than a cock-waving contest.

Do you have siblings you weren't previously aware of?
 Skip 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Depends. On the general life/work front could scarcely be worse, after 4 years in higher education, foolishly believing this would enhance my career prospects (well it should, shouldn't it?) i am in the worst financial situation on my life. Living in a place i don't want to be, in accommodation i hate, i.e. a house (not caravan/truck/bus), with no obvious or clear way of improvement in sight.

On the other hand my climbing has improved, never imagined doing an E1 last year, have done a few this year, although all on slabs and all top-roped. Not bad for a very late starter only about 18 months into climbing.
 Blue Straggler 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

I didn't set any quantifiable goals but I did say to myself that I could concentrate a bit more on freediving. That hasn't quite happened, though I did surprisingly get a new PB on what was pretty much my second session - I would have expected to have to train a bit through the summer toward any new PBs.

But I have kind of been bimbling along and seeing what life has to offer me, which has been great this year e.g. I realised that I can happily cycle for more than my 30 minute commute, so I am pimping up my road bike and hoping to get out and about on that quite a lot...which may give the fitness that I so sorely lack, which should in turn improve both my climbing and my diving. We shall see!

Other things have come along and made me reassess what I want from life and that's been a very positive thing too
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

Sadly I am a victim of Occy Health, however the Occy Health doctor is a climber and mountaineer. Could not ask for a better doctor.

I may yet be back at work. Only one more hurdle for me to jump before I get back onto the Big Yellow Taxi.
 Skyfall 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

V much to my surprise a full blood brother and sister who didn't know I existed. Probably the biggest shock for me in fact.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to Skyfall)
>
> The thread's turning out as I thought/hoped it would - a conversation rather than a cock-waving contest.
>
>

If you ask me nicely, I could turn on skype.

In reply to Skyfall:

I can imagine. Apparently I have a half-aunt and some cousins rattling round London somewhere but my mum doesn't want us to find them, and I have to respect that. Odd to think there are blood relatives wandering around and you don't know one another.
In reply to The Lemming:

Is there a polite term for 'turns away and retches'?
In reply to Tall Clare:
> (In reply to stroppygob)
>
> Are you not coming back just in time for mingy weather?

You could say that, however having two autumns in one year isn't a bad thing. My wife has never been to the UK in autumn, so I hope it lives up to the hard sell I've been giving it.

Needs must when the devil drives though, it's the only time we were both able to take 2 months off work due to one factor or another,.

Caralynh 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Yes, I actually love my job, just hate the management etc. As of next month, a huge area where I currently work will effectively be left without ambulance cover since we're moving to a Super-hub rather than local stations. Stupid and dangerous, and very frustrating. I'll always be a paramedic but how long I work for the NHS remains to be seen.
 The Lemming 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Caralynh:

You are starting with Spoke and hub next week?

I was hoping this would all blow over or take a couple of years to happen.
 John_Hat 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Pretty good so far. The main thing is that the shoulder appears to be recovering. 1st Jan I was a few weeks out of the sling and had just had my first climb after the operation to put two screws and a lot of suture knitting in my shoulder. 6 months later I've done 200/day (personal best) and my first E2 for ages.

Really really pleased, the surgeon apparently knows his trade. Now just need to drag him climbing (he's willing).

Otherwise, work is a bit/lot cr@p. I could rant but it would take too long and anyway its difficult to type with tears streaming from your eyes .

Lady Blue good, preparations for wedding progressing. How's your preparations going?

Could do with a few more hours in every day, but that's always the case. 8/10 not including work. Work (separately scored) 2/10. Grr.
In reply to John_Hat:
> (In reply to Tall Clare)
>

>
> Lady Blue good, preparations for wedding progressing. How's your preparations going?

My preparations is progressing well Think most of it's sorted - just got to finish making my dress.

Caralynh 28 Jul 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Aug 21st, but Bham south is already running. As for spokes, our hubs don't have them, especially since there are no standby points for the cars that were promised. So, high concentration population areas will get a service, rural wont. And we both know which of those have a higher percentage of genuine!!
 jules699 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Goals set but of a cycling nature - OMG!!!!! Still wanna climb but no goal in that...
 toad 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I suspect I'm drifting a bit. Enough work to stop me looking for a proper job (though I think that's changing), and effectively I'm on three separate zero hours contracts, which doesn't add up to a hill 'o' beans, security wise. Bluntly, I think I need to get my shit together.

And underlying this, my dad has spent most of the year since Easter in hospital/ nursing care (about 3 weeks in each, alternating as the hospital stabilises him and shunts him off to rehab where the useless carers knacker him again and he winds up back in hospital).

So at a half way (ish) point, it's not going brilliantly. Not dreadful, but not brilliantly We've a couple of weeks off in August to take a deep breath and decide where we want to go.

And I'd really, really like it to be cool enough for a decent nights sleep
 Mooncat 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Don't really set goals, I just meander through life and see what happens, if it goes tits up I blame fate.
Fate has been fairly good to me this year though, I continue to cover up my various failings in work and still haven't been sussed for what I am, my current squeeze still hasn't figured out that I'm a bumbling idiot albeit with decent houses and cars.
The only downside is losing 2 good mates in motorbike accidents, one a couple of months ago and another last weekend, I have made a mental note to be careful on mine now.
 Conf#2 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

This thread has been good for reflection on more than just the past two months! So thanks!

Started off pretty well. Moved to Sweden for a work placement, but that involved moving away from friends/then GF which was hard for a bit. But work was fun. And I chatted to lots of cool people and got to do some exciting things.

Then broke up with my GF (like all you UKC'ers said I would ) which was less fun, but still ok. And then I got fit and slept well and made friends. And I was the happiest with myself I'd been in maybe forever. Eurovision night was a highlight. I was so happy.

Then my best friend died the next day. So I'm pretty far back down the ladder of 'going well'. But trying to rebuild all the things, and have made some really valuable friends from his friends. And am trying to get uni work done to a reasonable standard and do a bit of swimming.

Plus my joints are a bit of a mess at the moment so I can't do a lot of stuff.

So even though right now I feel like this year's been a steaming pile, there have certainly been really good things that I have done and people I've met, and I've been happy for a lot of it!

So the future is a bit scary. And I'm sad. So we shall have to see. There is probably a light at the end of some tunnel somewhere.
 Timmd 28 Jul 2013
> (In reply to Tall Clare) I just find it alien for people to be marking their lives against a progress chart. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that I don't do it.
>
> I do notice how there is very little interaction between people on these type of threads; it's usually just people talking about themselves. I bet if I had responded by giving an opinion on how my year was going, you wouldn't have replied.

Bless you for your grumble.

Conf#2 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

That's so cool that you're making your own dress!
 stonemaster 28 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Entropically...
 Ciderslider 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Ciderslider: Really sorry for the term I used to describe my siege of the the two gritstone classics - it was a thoughtless and stupid comment and once again I apologise - it was not my intention to cause offence.
 tlm 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> My preparations is progressing well Think most of it's sorted - just got to finish making my dress.

Is it going to be as short as your navy blue one? It is all very exciting and I am sure that you will have a fantastic day.

Banned User 77 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Not bad..

Life's got more stable.. in the last 2 years I've lost my wife, job, house, dog (she's now living with her grand parents), left the area I love as realised I needed to start life again, then my best mate was killed earlier this year, so lifes had a massive up heavel.. but slowly leveling out..

Running has been great, probably no coincidence as I just threw myself into that.

But works going well, running is going great, achieved all my goals in that already so new goals now.. and pretty settled in Germany.. definitely more positive about the future now.
OP Tall Clare 29 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Blimey, that's a helluva lot of changes! Your running seems to be going amazingly well though.
 Cheese Monkey 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Excellent year so far. 10/10 for climbing, a week of sport around El Chorro, 2 weeks in Swiss Alps, off to Dolomites next week for a week then hopefully a few days in Austria in September. Lots of small UK cragging trips and pushing out into E1 locally where I'm running out of starred routes. 8/10 for work, self-employed with a reasonable amount of work (only had one week off) and doing a course in August to hopefully to enable me to earn more monies. 10/10 at home, moved into a lovely small house in a nice village on outskirts of town with my girlfriend 2 months ago. What's not to like? Happy days
 Pyreneenemec 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Short answer: it isn't !

Longer answer : well, it's exactly a year since the accident that triggered-off a long list of health problems. I've been reduced from being a fit, healthy, happy soul to a miserable, overweight, depressed vegetable ! Even as I write these few lines, my neck pain is excruciating. Work-wise, I think my working days are over. For the moment I earn exactly the same as when working and I hope this continues as long as possible, before being forced into invalidity. I quite enjoyed my job, but it is just a way of earning money to do other things and I've never really socialised in my work environment. I've seen a psychiatrist a few times which has helped to understand my depression; until I come to terms with the mourning for my past existence I will see little improvement.

Well, you did ask !
 Blue Straggler 29 Jul 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

I only "know" you from your posts on here but I'd like to say that you have seemed a lot more positive in the last three months or so, than in the 18 months previous to that. It certainly sounds as if you are feeling more settled.
 Pyreneenemec 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to IainRUK)
>
> I only "know" you from your posts on here but I'd like to say that you have seemed a lot more positive in the last three months or so, than in the 18 months previous to that. It certainly sounds as if you are feeling more settled.

Your comments have given me an idea for a career move : become an internet forums psychologist !
In reply to Tall Clare:

> Crappy work situations do have a way of draining the rest of life.

Very true. However, my last working day was the week before last; I have a presentation this Thursday and then that's me done with it.

Medical retirement, aged 50, full pension. Though it means some life changes, I'm not grumbling.

So on the whole my year's going quite well, ta.

T.
 kathrync 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

In September last year, I started a masters in an attempt to shift my flagging career in a slightly different direction. Consequently my goals this year have all revolved around that.

In terms of the masters, it's going better than I ever dreamed it would. I have absolutely loved it and done well in the taught component. The end is in sight (3 weeks until I hand in my project) and I have an exciting job to go to in September off the back of it.

The downside of that is that a lot of my hobbies have gone on hold for the year and I am missing them, especially climbing. Still, give me three weeks and I'll hopefully be able to make up for some lost time
 owlart 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Not really achieving the goals I hoped for. Took a long time to pluck up the courage to post on here for a partner to get me back into climbing, only to have that knock my confidence back to zero again. Lots of things got in the way of my walking too, so I've hardly been out at all this year. Hopefully I'll get something done while on holiday in Cornwall later on.

I'm enjoying seeing my Godson grow up and finding I'm living vicariously via his parents! Have times of deep loneliness, but have some good friends too, sadly none of whom live anywhere near me

Overall, this year seems to be going quickly though
 CurlyStevo 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
Well my goals were several E1 and an E2 and lead more grade V. Also get from being 93 kg to 83 kg.

Well my climbing is going quite well and I'm cruising a lot of HVS 5a but unfortunately I haven't even tried an E1 yet although I blame the late cold spring. I did however lead a grade V and I'm weighing 84 kg so nearly there on the weight front (infact my new goal is 80kg!)

All in not bad but I doubt I'll get an E2 this year but should get an E1 or two sometime in september.
 teflonpete 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:
> Hello all,
>
> A Sunday evening musing - we're just over halfway through the year, and I was wondering how your year is panning out? If you set goals for the year/new year's resolutions, how are they working out?

Not what I thought it would be at the end of last year but emerging from some stuff that I thought would be bad in much better shape than I thought I would. It's been a busy year so far finishing off house renovations to sell the house and finalise my divorce settlement. All sorted now though and by the end of August I'll have my decree absolute and be moved into a new place with my GF. My kids are both healthy, happy and looking forward to the move too. :0) I'll be in a financial position to buy my semi-retirement home at the end of August too. I thought at the start of the year that I'd be getting made redundant about now but we've just been told that we're here at least until the latter part of next year, probably into 2015 so that's very welcome news.

Climbing and walking have been a non-starter this year unfortunately, just haven't had time and my other half has had vertigo for the last couple of months. Managed to get out for a weekend in Snowdonia and one in the Lakes where we did a bit of walking but that was about it other than a long weekend Pembroke back in March. Hoping to get out and about a bit more in the autumn.
 Kieran_John 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Well, we started the process of adopting a kid at close to the start of the year, and by the end of it we should (fingers crossed) be on the register ready for matching at the start of next year.

I've also built a bouldering wall in my garage (which was a new year's resolution) and actually used it on occasion.
 Axel Smeets 29 Jul 2013
In reply to teflonpete:

Rather uninteresting to be honest.

Minimal time spent in the hills (week in Scotland in February and that's about it). Work has eaten into my free time massively this year and I no longer count Sunday as a day off. Hopefully in the near future this will change as there's pretty major changes planned at work over the next few months, with a reasonable chance of financial reward to accompany it. This has kept me going on the countless Sundays I've been at work.

Getting married at the end of November but it's probably the smallest, most simple (and cheapest!) wedding possible so the planning has been non-existent.

I've got 5 weeks off starting from 30th November. Honeymoon in Uruguay, Argentina and Chile. I'm working like a dog at the moment with this break keeping me motivated.

Family all fit and healthy and my baby niece is doing fine. Can't complain.
In reply to Tall Clare: Didn't start so well, was hospitalised just before Christmas and not let out until mid February. Since then life has fallen into place beautifully, first of all my social worker made me fill out a load of forms that means I'll probably never be forced to work again, then the weather gets as good as I've ever seen it and my favourite climbing amigo rings me out the blue (works away alot) asking me if I can get away. Trips to Scotland, The Lakes and Wales follow, bagged some absolute classics and have done more climbing this summer than in the last few years combined. Both bikes finally sorted, trips to Wales on the Mountain bike and the Fred Whitton challenge (almost) last Wednesday on the roady.
Seems my Mum has found herself in a position to lend me 100 grand, with which I'm buying a house in the suburb I most want to live in, which also provides me with the job I've wanted for the last 8 years (buying, renovating and selling property). Finally got transport for the first time in years in the form of a little motorbike, then on top of that Mam decides to lend me her brand new polo for six months, plus I've managed to pass part 1 of my motorbike test this morning. Also looks like I'm going to be able to spend all of December and January in Thailand.
Finally, after a year and a half of celibacy an old flame has started to pester me (really) for commitment free sex.
Apologies for being so smug but I quite literally couldn't be happier
 Timmd 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: I'm unfolding emotionally in a way which is nice, slowly making friends which seem to be genuine, and have just started a level 3 Diploma in Countryside Management, which includes 'project management' which is what I need for some of my dream jobs, and I'm settled in a house for the long term thanks to the help of family.

So it's going okay. Meeting somebody to love would be cool, as would a part time job to around my course, and learning to drive and passing, but I can't complain.

I can't remember if I made any resolutions, but it feels like I'm vaguely keeping to them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...