ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Safe take me off belay!

jamie ward - on 28 Jul 2013
In the past week at various crags in the Peak District I have heard climbers tell their partners they are safe the moment they reach the top of their climb, they then mess about on the top of the crag with ropes around ankles looking for anchors with the wind blowing on their backs and endless pieces of gear jangling all over the place, they are still working at height on the edge of a crag and apparently are SAFE! I don't know whose teaching these people but common sense would tell you to set up your anchors/belay (Or at least a part of it) clip into whilst still on belay, once this has been done your are then SAFE or SAFER then you was before your mate was instructed to take you off belay blissfully unaware that he could end up next to you or splat on your new 5:10's still in their box.
I have had to mention it at least 6 times to various parties this week, old and young climbers,climbing alone or within a group, the response from most has been positive and where happy to take on board my suggestions, however the worrying thing was that most climbers knew that this was wrong and they just did it because friends were doing or just down to laziness not ignorance.....worrying
... not showing 68 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums