UKC

Why don't time triallists use belay glasses?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tricky Dicky 29 Jul 2013
I was watching Chris Froome on the mountain time trial in this years TdF and he'd look up to see the road, then look down to be more aero, then look up, then look down etc, etc.

So why don't time triallists wear belay glasses e.g.http://cubelayglasses.co.uk/ and they could see where they're going and have their head down in an aero position at the same time???
ceri 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky: I haven't tried belay glasses. I understand they take some getting used to. I do wear ordinary glasses and am aware of the fact that i walk into doorframes etc a lot due to lack of peripheral vision. Not sure I'd feel safe trying to cycle very fast in belay glasses.
In reply to Tricky Dicky:

Head down in aero position does not mean looking at the ground! The rider would actually be looking about ten or fifteen metres up the road, the "looking down" is more about relieving neck muscles.

ALC
 woolsack 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky: Normally they'd have a visor on the TT helmet, those belay glasses are not very aero

Visor with head up display, now you're talking!
 ripper 29 Jul 2013
In reply to woolsack:
> (In reply to Tricky Dicky) Normally they'd have a visor on the TT helmet, those belay glasses are not very aero
>
>
> Visor with head up display, now you're talking!

that would be a head-down display, surely?
 The Lemming 29 Jul 2013

Wonder what their faces and noses look like when they crash as the prisms are quite sturdy?
OP Tricky Dicky 29 Jul 2013
In reply to woolsack: Head up (or down) display would be great, giving information from the team car, current speed, heart rate, power output and also a rear view so that you don't have to turn your head........

I had the same thought...
 steev 01 Aug 2013

Most of the Aero TT helmets require the rider to be looking up the road to have any effect - if they look down the point at the back acts a bit like a sail.
 Liam M 01 Aug 2013
In reply to steev:
> (In reply to Tricky Dicky)
>
> Most of the Aero TT helmets require the rider to be looking up the road to have any effect - if they look down the point at the back acts a bit like a sail.

Which is a large part of what motivates the shorter style aero helmets, like the Kask that Sky use, recognising that keeping the head locked up and forward for a long period is hard work and reasonably unlikely.
 Arms Cliff 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Liam M:
> (In reply to steev)
> [...]
>
> keeping the head locked up and forward for a long period is hard work and reasonably unlikely.

Unless you are Tony Martin of course!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...