UKC

Andy Kirkpatrick

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Coel Hellier 29 Jul 2013
Question, does Andy Kirkpatrick actually like climbing, or does he just do it to torture himself?

(Thought arising from being halfway through "Cold Wars", highly recommended by the way, provided you like "climbing noir").
 Rick Graham 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> Question, does Andy Kirkpatrick actually like climbing, or does he just do it to torture himself?
>
Its his job and he is very well qualified to do it.

SteveoS 29 Jul 2013

I believe he practices the art of (not) suffering.
 Robert Durran 29 Jul 2013
> Question, does Andy Kirkpatrick actually like climbing, or does he just do it to torture himself?

I thought the thesis of the book was that climbing was incresaingly seeming like torture and that he was subsequently torturing himself over his priorities in life. Great book.
 dutybooty 29 Jul 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier: Good book, sort of climbing I want to do! Purely inspiring.
Antigua 29 Jul 2013

He's on here somewhere maybe he'll be able to tell you
 Offwidth 30 Jul 2013

He even has a new technical book out which you could argue gives tips to allow others to torture themselves more efficiently too.

http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/shop/product/1000_tips_for_climbers

On the other hand, being lucky enough to know him a little, he has more positive life and love in him face-to-face as an individual than the total human content of some large parties I've been to. He is a natural comedian with an easy if rude chalm, a family man, and his climbing like his writing success comes from an inner drive forging past obvious disadvantages.
geomac 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Offwidth:

Well said, That's my own impression of Andy. I like his character a lot and there should be more like him in climbing.- Same goes for Bob Duran though.
 Dave Garnett 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Coel Hellier)
>
> On the other hand, being lucky enough to know him a little, he has more positive life and love in him face-to-face as an individual than the total human content of some large parties I've been to.

Yes, but some of the non-human content can be exceptional.
 fire_munki 31 Jul 2013
He makes me want to climb big walls and big cold walls even though they are so far above my ability it would be quicker to evolve some wings!

I recently downsized my entire room of books to a single bookcase(what happens when you get a live in gf)and his books were in the never throw out pile even if Pyschovertical is falling to bits!
OP Coel Hellier 31 Jul 2013
In reply to fire_munki:

> He makes me want to climb big walls and big cold walls ...

While I think his books are brilliant, he makes me want to climb at Stanage, where if it starts to rain or gets a bit cold one can go down to Hathersage and have a nice cup of tea in the warm, and then sleep in a nice comfy bed!
ice.solo 31 Jul 2013

i think hes a national treasure in the making.

that may sound absurdly over the top, but tho his 'own' climbing impresses me, its his 'humanity' climbing, presenting, biking, skiing etc that really puts him in his own league. all the stuff with blind people, amputees, beginners, kids etc.

he may not get a piolet dor, but he may get a f*cken nobel.
OP Coel Hellier 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Great book.

It is, and to continue the discussion from a previous thread, I appreciate the lack of time-jumping compared to Psychovertical!
 Robert Durran 01 Aug 2013
> (In reply to Robert Durran)
> It is, and to continue the discussion from a previous thread, I appreciate the lack of time-jumping compared to Psychovertical!

No, no! The time jumping is masterly.

gethin_allen 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Offwidth:
"He is a natural comedian"
Thats exactly what I thought when I saw him doing a talk with Ian Parnell at Sheffield uni.
With such energy and experiences to talk about I was sure he could have gone on all night, unfortunately he didn't.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...