UKC

Inov-8 Oroc 340s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 haydn 30 Jul 2013
Has anyone used the Inov-8 Orocs at all? I've been looking at the 340s and thinking that the metal spikes might be useful in the snow and ice this winter. However, I'm not sure whether they could scratch the rock on any bare sections I might come across? I know it's only a footpath, but it seems a bit hypocritical of me to moan about people keeping crampons on for way longer than necessary, and then potentially leave a scratch with every footstep while running. I've never had anything with spikes before, so am I worrying about nothing or would it best to stick with the Mudclaws?
 Voltemands 30 Jul 2013
In reply to haydn: the gf brought some from sport pursuit for a great price, but they really do require your route to be 95%+ snow, ice, sludge or grass. The noise of the metal contacting stones, tracks and hard packed oaths quickly becomes annoying. I've not exactly hot fien on hands and knees too check, but there must be some mark.
 Voltemands 30 Jul 2013
In reply to haydn: and the mudclaw is a Great shoe btw. Highly recommended, on my 2nd pair.
TOS 30 Jul 2013
In reply to haydn:

I can't help you on the scratching issue, but can vouch for metal studs on snow and ice.

During winter back home, I use Icebug shoes which have steel studs like the Orocs - the difference between them and my normal shoes is amazing. That said, my girlfriend has some Nike running shoes which have a different rubber compound suited to giving grip in the cold. I'm not sure of the model, but the sports shops in Northern Norway seem to sell a lot of them. These non-studded shoes see to work well for what its worth.

Also, there is a goretex version of the Oroc, this might be an idea if running through cold wet slush...

In reply to haydn:

I used to have a previous model of Inov-8 shoes with the metal dobs, which tended to tear out of the soles quite easily. Icebug make something similar which has proved much more durable.

Mudclaws seem fine on anything but hard ice.

The new Mudclaw 300 is a slightly more generous fit, and less heel shredding than the previous model.
OP haydn 31 Jul 2013
In reply to haydn:
Thanks everyone - I'm on my fourth pair of Mudclaws, so may well just stick to them. It's rare my runs are entirely on snow/ice (although last season was particularly good).
 digby 31 Jul 2013
In reply to haydn:

Get some Kahtoola Microspikes and use them on any of your running shoes. They are very quick and easy to put on and take off and grip like anything on ice. You can use them over walking boots too.
OP haydn 02 Aug 2013
In reply to digby:
I've got the KTS and they're brilliant - it was just a good price on the Orocs so thought it might be worth a punt. Probably don't *need* another pair of shoes in all honesty...
 Banned User 77 02 Aug 2013
In reply to haydn: Microspikes are fine for trails.. they aren't for the mountains.. it won't be til we have a few deaths of runners in microspikes with no ice axe on dangerous terrain in the mountains until this penny starts to drop...

Likewise the need to carry an ice axe..

In trainers and the kahtoola crampons I'd be happy on most grade 1 terrain, certainly never been in an area in the mountains with them and an axe that seemed dangerous. You can get cheap lightweight ski mountaineering axes.

I'm not sure for UK terrain if the OROCS are worth it.. I may get a pair for next winter as I live in Germany so snow on the ground is pretty much the norm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...