UKC

Reccomend me a head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Co1in H 31 Jul 2013
Best head torch at a sensible price. Nothing too fancy and probably the bottom end of the price range.
 Mountain Llama 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H: That will be the alpkit one then?
 Slarti B 31 Jul 2013
 Mountain Llama 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Slarti B: between the 2 I'd go 4 the manta as there's no warning against using lithium rechargeable batteries.

I had a gamma it was ok but some French bloke stood on it and killed it, now have mylo rxp 2 which is great
 CMcBain 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H:

Alpkit ones are alright if you just need a cheap back-up but i've went through 2 of them (broken battery cases on both) in a short period of time. They also have a habit of turning on in your rucksack which is annoying. If I was buying again i'd go for something like the Black Diamond Icon (http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN4156&utm_source=Produ... bit pricier but more robust and a much stronger beam (good for picking out features in the dark for night nav)

Hope this helps.
 CMcBain 31 Jul 2013
In reply to CMcBain:

^ Also has a lock mode which prevents you finding a headtorch with no juice left in your rucksack when you really need it ....
 psaunders 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H: Alpkit ones are over-rated, I've had several issues both mechanical (battery case breaking, a faulty strap) and electrical (torch that won't turn off) and I won't be buying another. If you can't rely on it, it's not worth paying for or carrying.

I have used an Energizer torch for a while (this one: http://is.gd/wI3Pr4) and have been very impressed so far. Very bright, batteries last ages, well-made, takes up very little room, one big button which is easy to use in gloves but quite stiff so doesn't turn on in your bag. Well worth considering.
 martinph78 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H: My mate has just got a Petzl Tikka Plus 2 (or 2+). They often come up on ebay for £25, and have a 3 year warranty. It's plenty bright enough I reckon, and seems good quality.
Removed User 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H:

Petzl Tikka 2. Light, robust & reliable. I bought BD Cosmo couple of weeks ago and I wish I had bought another Tikka instead.
 Cameron94 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Co1in H: Petzl Tikka xp 2

I added the lithium core battery pack to mine.
 butteredfrog 31 Jul 2013
To the OP
In reply to psaunders:

...... If you can't rely on it, it's not worth paying for or carrying.

^^^This^^^^

Out of a number of head torches over the years I find Petzl's offerings by far the most reliable. I tried an LED Lenzer H7 recently and it let me down every time I put it on my head.
Depends on what you want to use it for. Summer campsite use a cheap headtorch is fine for most of the time. Winter mountaineering, when you are going to spend time navigating in the dark, you would be glad of something with a bit of range.
Currently back with a Myo RXP. Worth the money in my opinion.

Cheers Adam
Currently back with Myo RXP with no complaints.

tiffanykate12 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Martin1978:

I got the standard Petzl Tikka 2 for my trek up Kilimanjaro and it was absolutely perfect - plenty bright enough, batteries lasted well (and are still going strong!), and really comfortable. I get pressure headaches, but the wide band meant it stayed on but didn't cause any pain. I think I managed to find one online for under £20 too.
 chiz 31 Jul 2013
In reply to Mountain Llama:
> (In reply to Co1in H) That will be the alpkit one then?

For some recent comments on alpkit gammas breaking, and comment by alpkit: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=556722&v=1#x7420377

They don't seem that fussed about the failure rate, but they're not the ones walking off the hill in the dark with a knackered torch.
 martinph78 31 Jul 2013
In reply to tiffanykate12: That's a really good price for the brand/quality I think. Alpkit prices with Petzl quality.
I also get pressure headaches, I didn't know that's what they were called though! I get them when wearing some hats and helmets as well as a head torch.
In reply to Martin1978: Alpkit Gamma is a fine torch for £15
However as above I don't think I'd want to rely on it

Newer B/D Spot 90 Lumen and Petzl Tikka Xp2 both u could easily pick up for £25/£30 easily enuf both cracking Lamps
 JIMBO 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H: on a night-nav a group of us tried all our different headtorches one at a time to compare. Myo RXP was clearly the best... however cheaper and a good friend for many years was my Petzl Tikka XP 2...
In reply to Co1in H: http://tinyur...

Buy five of them then you won't be walking in the dark if one fails!
OP Co1in H 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H: Thanks to everyone for the advice.
A couple of serious choices, but it won't be Alpikit.
 Gone 01 Aug 2013
In reply to JIMBO:

What about a Fenix HL30? As bright as a Myo RXP, cheap as a Tikka XP2. Fully waterproof. Also takes 2 AAs rather than 3 AAAs - more easily available, better power to weight ratio, easier to charge an even number of batteries.
PopShot 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H:
> Best head torch at a sensible price. Nothing too fancy and probably the bottom end of the price range.

One of the LED Lenser H range. You really need a headtorch which is focusable. All the others mentioned aren't.
Removed User 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H:

Here's another cheap option: search ebay (the german one) for Mammut Lucido TX-1. Great range, heavily discounted price. Might be worth a look.
 StuDoig 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Gone:
I'm not a fan of the Fenix torches. They have a very concentrated beam so are great for distance but comparatively poor for short distance or for getting a good perspective on terrain around you.

I've got both and though the Fenix is in practice brighter and throws a further beam, I prefer the Myo RXP by far for walking, climbing, bothying, camping etc.

Cheers,

Stuart
 Michael Chan 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H: Depends what you consider sensible. I've had very little experience of being benighted, however, the one time that I was I wished I had a head torch birghter than my friend's brand new Tikka XP2 or whatever.

Go with the brightest you can afford. You'd rather have more light than you'll ever need, than need more light and not have it.

If you go onto ebay, you can find a MYO RXP2 for cheap. I got mine for £38.50. Bangin' deal!
 jimjimjim 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H: yep. ...alpkit for me. I went caving with a friend of mine down Giants and his Alpkit tourch look really good. Stong beam, durable and cheap. He's been using it loads and rates it.
 John Kelly 02 Aug 2013
In reply to Co1in H: petzl xp2

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...