UKC

Has McQuaid lost the plot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 01 Aug 2013

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid-touts-anti-doping-initiatives-in-re...

On top of the proposed rule changes, is this man delusional or does he make valid claims?
 link 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

The guy is a cretin.

None of the measures he claims to have brought in are his idea, they are just adopted from teams already using them. Garmin with no needles policy, CSC with the bio passport etc.
 Mike Highbury 01 Aug 2013
In reply to link:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> The guy is a cretin.
>
> None of the measures he claims to have brought in are his idea, they are just adopted from teams already using them. Garmin with no needles policy, CSC with the bio passport etc.

Of all the sins that can be laid at hiss door, those are none of them. Who but the teams are likely to develop such initiatives? And if a team or other body developed a method for reducing drug use, would you prefer it if he ignored it?
 Loughan 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User: Yes. He has an appointment in September to be put out of his misery (or hopefully our misery anyway)
 Chris the Tall 01 Aug 2013
"Pat McQuaid, the gift that keeps on giving"

Just when you think his credibility couldn't get any lower, he proves us all wrong, trying to change the election rules and claiming credit for things that he initially opposed - lets not forget how he tried to block USADA over LA.

In any genuine election he wouldn't stand a chance, but I fear this election has similarities to FIFA choosing Qatar for the World Cup. Its so opaque that the ability to make deals is far more important than the merits of the candidate. McQuaid knows he won't get many votes from Europe or North America, but clearly has friends in such cycling powerhouses as Morocco, Thailand and Malaysia.
 elsewhere 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Chris the Tall:
FIFA has huge powers of patronage to buy votes when distributing billions of TV money to national bodies so it is massively corrupt. If cycling is like that then Cookson doesn't stand a chance
In reply to elsewhere:
> (In reply to Chris the Tall)
> FIFA has huge powers of patronage to buy votes when distributing billions of TV money to national bodies so it is massively corrupt. If cycling is like that then Cookson doesn't stand a chance

I really don't see this fascination with Cookson who may or may not be less corrupt than PMcQ but is nevertheless a UCI insider. It is the UCI that is the fiefdom, McQ is merely the leaden-footed carrier of its flame.
 Henry Iddon 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Mike Highbury:

Pat McQ appears to have lost the plot.

The fact is that Brian Cookson is a man of integrity and great political skill - corrupt he is not. He still regularly gets out on his bike and is very much a 'club cyclist' at heart. How many others in the upper echelons ( see what I did there ) of sports gov bodies actually actively take part in the sports they govern several times a week. Not many I suspect.

He should be applauded for putting his head above the parapet in an honest attempt to rid the UCI of its corrupt practices and Pat McQ. I don't doubt that others on the UCI Man. committee encouraged him to stand as he wasn't over keen - but they would have known he was the best man for the job.

What people may not realise that it was Brian who stood up as the voice of reason when British Cycling was about to implode in the 90's due to internal back biting and infighting - look how thats turned out through his stewardship.
 Chris the Tall 01 Aug 2013
Given the nature of the election an outsider would have no chance. Even though BC is on the management committee, things are still very heavily weighted in favour of the incumbent.

There is the question of how much power the president has vs the committee, which I don't think any of us knows. Interesting that PMQ was trying to make out how little involvement he had during Hein Verbruggen's reign.

However if you think BC and PMQ are cut from the same cloth then you haven't been following events very closely !
> (In reply to Mike Highbury)
>
> However if you think BC and PMQ are cut from the same cloth then you haven't been following events very closely !

Which, incidentally, is not at all what I said.
 elsewhere 01 Aug 2013
He's the only challenger to a discredited incumbent.
Removed User 01 Aug 2013

What I find remarkable in all of this is the ability to view these events unfolding without having a clear ability to predict the outcome.

That, I find, is a little disturbing. If the Europeans and North Americans don't support PMQ and his attempt at rule changes etc. are transparent attempts to distort due process then how could his re-election ever be tolerated?
 blurty 01 Aug 2013
how could his re-election ever be tolerated?

That's democracy for you
Removed User 01 Aug 2013
In reply to blurty:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
> how could his re-election ever be tolerated?
>
> That's democracy for you

Like Zimbabwe then?
 DaveHK 02 Aug 2013

The Kelly autobiog gives an interesting impression of the younger McQuaid. Doesn't sound like he's changed much.
Removed User 03 Aug 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

And this from Plant:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/plant-condemns-mcquaid-for-attempted-vote-r...

It would still beggar belief if PMQ was to retain his position after September.............wouldn't it?
 Chris the Tall 21 Aug 2013
Looks like the Swiss have gone the same way as the Irish in withdrawing their nomination

http://inrng.com/2013/08/mcquaids-swiss-role-reversal/

McQuaid now dependent upon nominations from Morocco and Thailand, which may not be valid, and may not have been submitted before the deadline. Unless the even dodgier Malaysian proposal gets through - a proposal which we now know was written by senior UCI officials, has by-passed the Man Comm to get on the agenda, and is back-dated.

I wonder where they got this backdating idea from, Lance and his TUE perhaps ? No, it couldn't be - they didn't know anything about that.

Promises to be a cracking World Champs - Froome vs Nibali, Wiggins vs Martin, Cookson vs McQuaid.

Who will win - the lawyers probably
 Neil Pratt 21 Aug 2013

This is my favourite bit...

"Speaking to Cyclingnews on Tuesday, McQuaid had dismissed rumours of the withdrawal of Swiss Cycling’s support as “compete bullshit” and insisted: “I know there's a hearing on Thursday. I've had communication from the Swiss federation and it's going ahead.”"

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/swiss-cycling-officially-withdraws-mcquaid-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...