UKC

What to do with a free September.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Braintax 01 Aug 2013
So it looks as though I have this September completely free of work ... In between jobs. So far I don't have anyone to join me on a trip, does anyone one have some suggestions for me. My alpine experience is fairly low ( I climb at a relatively low level on rock and ice but have rope skills, crevasse rescue understanding etc ) but want to improve. Everything I have done has been guided and it looks like I'm going down that route again ...

Thanks,

Da
 Scomuir 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:
Ski mountaineering on volcanoes in Chile. That's what i'd do if I had a spare September.
OP Braintax 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Scomuir: like it... Sounds fun! Anyone else with some insights ?
meremember 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:

Are the alps frequented in September? I was considering a Cham trip to do some PD type routes. Is the weather typically ok?

thanks
OP Braintax 01 Aug 2013
In reply to meremember: I think it is late season so the weather can be hit and miss/ it's colder and perhaps lifts less frequent? A seasoned alpine at probably has more insight though... So if you are reading let us know and let me know what you think I should do!
estivoautumnal 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:

Yosemite is nice in early Sept, then move to Joshua Tree for the end of the month.
 alasdair19 01 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax: check the meets for the big clubs ac, cc, frcc they all have alpine meets there may be a Sept one.
mgco3 06 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:

Sell it on ebay??

I'll get me coat..
testagrigia 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax: From mid-September most refuges in the Alps are unmanned (but you can usually stay in the winter room). Though conditions can still be perfect after that...can be dire too. After mid-August a snowfall is always a possibility. Being on your own rather rules out anything involving crossing glaciers (though there are Alpine routes with "safe" glaciers, especially on the southern side of the Alps). And it rather rules out any real rock climbing or anything but the easiest alpine routes. And hiring a guide for a month is quite an investment. Via ferrata on the other hand is not a bad solo option. Dolomites might be an idea. You could combine some via ferrata and some solo climbing on easier routes with some days out with a guide. And you never know you might hook up with someone out there.
 winter hill1 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:
hi there am out in septebmer passy nr chamonix, lookign for partners from 10-20th if you are free and keen to meet up!!

cath
 Arbu 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax: You can come to Georgia with me if you like. I'm planning to climb Didi Abuli 31 August to 2 Sep and Kazbek 8-13 Sep.
 dunnyg 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax: Utah. If too warm, go to joes valley for a week or so then head south and get on some towers/cracks.
ice.solo 21 Aug 2013
In reply to Braintax:

3000m peaks and granite in japan. good season, not hot enough to avoid the south facing routes, but warm enough to still swim and mini skirts to be out in full force.

cheaper than europe, more of a frontier than most places.
 walts4 22 Aug 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
> (In reply to Braintax)
>
but warm enough to still swim and mini skirts to be out in full force.
>
Sounds idyllic

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...