UKC

The Paperboy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 03 Aug 2013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paperboy_(2012_film)

Wow. That must be one of the dirties scenes in a mainstream film I've ever watched.
 Blue Straggler 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Watch Myra Breckenridge.

Hey, if you are calling "The Paperboy" mainstream then I can call "Myra Breckenridge" mainstream, right?
Removed User 04 Aug 2013
In reply to Blue Straggler:
> (In reply to Minneconjou Sioux)
>
> Watch Myra Breckenridge.
>
> Hey, if you are calling "The Paperboy" mainstream then I can call "Myra Breckenridge" mainstream, right?

Fair point. Perhaps not Mainstream but I was going a little off the cast.
Removed User 04 Aug 2013

Just watched the Myra Breckenridge scene.

Not even close.

In fairness it was over 40 years ago!
I have not seen The Paperboy, and I know the scene in question and am aware of the "Hollywood stock" of those involved, and I know it was very risky.

But they were deliberately courting controversy whereas Ms Welch actually thought that Myra Breckenridge was going to be the film that would get her taken seriously as An Ac-TRESS. Looked at now it does seem like career suicide. 1971, anal rape of an "all-American" beefcake whilst wearing a stars-and-stripes swimming costume - it was never really going to be terribly commercial...
Removed User 04 Aug 2013

Yeah, I get the age thing and agree that it was certainly a big risk back in the '70's to do that scene.

Watch "The Paperboy". I liked it but then I'm not "mainstream" in my tastes so it won't be for everyone.

Sorry about the mis-spelling of "Breckinridge". I have a feeling that it's not my fault and that various bits of official publicity material for the film (or possibly even title cards or credits) are inconsistent...
Removed User 04 Aug 2013

TBH, I didn't notice. Spelling not being my strong point.

Let me know when you've watched The Paperboy. I'm curious about your thoughts.

I felt Cusak and Kidman did a really good job but McConoughey was a little unconvincing. Macey Gray was actually ok as well. Not sure about David Oyelowo.
 Blue Straggler 05 Aug 2013

Cheers. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap second hand copy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...